Buying used iPhone 5s - how to avoid getting scammed?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by troy14, Jun 18, 2014.

1. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone,

Looking to buy a used iPhone 5s via eBay, craigslist, or whatever else I can find. My question is this : is there a way to prevent being scammed? Looking at the idea that the seller could call their carrier and say it was lost/stolen and leave me out of a phone? Is that possible?

Thanks

2. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Try buying one from swappa.com. They validate the sellers iPhone IMEI number and would have a record of it after the sale in case there was a problem like you describe. I purchased a phone from swappa and had a good experience. I think they go out of their way to keep the shady sellers away.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, its very possible.
    Or they can sell you a lost or stolen phone without telling you and then a few days later the original owner gets it blacklisted and you're left with a useless device.
    Its a risk.

4. laudern macrumors 6502a

Why spend hundreds of dollars on a 2nd hand electronic which will be used every single day? If your spending $400+ on something 2nd hand, you most well just pay another $200 and get it brand new....Or at least refurbished from apple (they are almost brand new)

just my POV.

5. ItBeMe22 macrumors 6502

ItBeMe22

E-Bay is a crap shoot. Craigslist only if the seller say it is a AT&T phone will meet you at a AT&T store, and let them check it out and get it put in your name right there. If they will not meet you there, it is a scam.:confused:

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They can't put it in your name. Doesn't work like that with gsm devices. All they can do is give you a nano sim and you pop it in.
    The original owner can still call them up later if he wants to be a jerk or commit insurance fraud and report it lost/stolen and get it blacklisted.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Apple doesn't sell refurbished iPhones.

8. laudern macrumors 6502a

They don't. That is true. I just learned something....My point still stands though. Why pay so much money for something that for all you know could have been mistreated, altered, whatever?

But people do it, so it must work out most of the time...

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Buying used iPhones can be risky, but if you take your time and educate yourself you will be fine. In March I picked up a "used" iPhone 5 for my dad's birthday. It was literally new in box; the shrink wrap hadn't been removed and the phone still had a full 12 months of warranty. Cost me $325.

10. hellala macrumors newbie

If you're going to buy on CL, here are what you need to know:

1) If Verizon or Sprint iphone, you should meet in store to activate the phone before you buy it.
    If you knew a bit more about iphone, you should ask them for the IMEI to check with Verizon or Sprint. If Verizon, Sprint said clear for new activation, you can goahead to next step to check the "icloud locked" here at iphoneimei.info or iunlocker.net. If you see "Find My iPhone" ON, you need to ask them to remove icloud locked. Otherwise, do not go with it.

2) If Tmobile/AT&T, you're risky. Meet at store is better but the seller still can report lost/stolen or insurance claim later.

You're good only if their phone is not in contract( their contract is over or they got upgraded). Then you also need to check iCloud locked as same as with Verizon/Sprint iphone using IMEI.

eBay is better but higher price. You need to read the listing carefully. If you got the phone is not as discribed, then you can file a claim with ebay to get money back.

Swappa seems to be the best one since they're sellling the working phone only.

11. kmillzz macrumors newbie

Not on their website but they do sell them through eBay from my understanding.