Buying used iPhone - need new SIM?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dudecati, Jun 16, 2008.

1. dudecati macrumors newbie

Question - if I buy a used 16 gig iPhone from someone do I need to get a new SIM card to make it work with my current mobile #? Ultimately here is what I want to do;

1) Take my current 4 gig iPhone and transfer it to my wife
    2) Get a used 16 gig one and make it mine

I believe I can take my sim card and put it in the 16 gig phone and that will then work as my current # - correct? If not please correct me. Then my original question still exists, how do we get the 4 gig iPhone to be my wife's #?

Thanks!

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

It all depends on who your carrier is at present. If it's AT&T, then no problem, when you activate via iTunes, you will add a $20 data plan to your wife's iPhone and you're good to go. If you're with T-Mobile, you should be able to switch the SIM card as well.

You may want to get your 16GB iPhone before you do all of this, that way you'll never be without an iPhone for more than a few seconds. Good luck. :cool:

3. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I did this with my wife about a week ago. I gave her my 4GB and I got a 8GB. Just swapped the SIMS from our prior phones we had(we're with AT&T) and activated via iTunes and we were up and running within a minute. Best of luck to you.