buying used iphone vs itouch question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mike4him, May 20, 2010.

1. mike4him macrumors newbie

Hi folks, i thought you might be able to help me. I have thought about buying an ipod touch to use for playing music on an upcoming road trip and to carry around with my work calendar, plus other apps useful in an educational administration setting. A refurb ipod touch is $149 from apple.

I would buy an old iphone if it can basically do what a touch does. that way when i move out of the country (this july) i could activate the phone and use it instead of having to get a voice only phone (albeit a much cheaper option per month).

Would y'all say that even a first generation iphone would be fine for the purposes described above? Can I just "turn off the phone" and use the iphone like an ipod touch if I decide not to use it as a phone in my new location?

thanks in advance for your advice.

2. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

For the most part, yes. Keep in mind though that the original iphone will not get the 4.0 update and the specs on it aren't nearly as good as the ipod touch. It really depends on what you want more. If the phone aspect of it is definite and a high priority for you then get an old iphone. If it isn't, I think going with the Touch is a better idea. You will get a lot better spec's, warranty, and the ability to run the new OS and all the apps that will come out requiring it.

3. mike4him thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! So I would need to get an iphone 3g or 3gs to be able to get the 4.0 update? sorry i don't know much about iphones!

4. cowsrus macrumors 6502

Again that comes down to your preference
    Both the 3g and the 3gs get the 4.0 update, however some of the features in 4.0 won't make it to the 3g (like multitasking)

If you are just looking for a phone that can run apps, play music and thats basically it I would go with the 3g to save money, 3gs or the new iphone coming out next month if you really want the high end version of the iphone, but if you really just want apps and music id save the money and get a touch and whatever phone you get when you leave the country