buying used iphone vs itouch question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mike4him, May 20, 2010.

1. mike4him macrumors newbie

Hi folks, i thought you might be able to help me. I have thought about buying an ipod touch to use for playing music on an upcoming road trip and to carry around with my work calendar, plus other apps useful in an educational administration setting. A refurb ipod touch is $149 from apple.

I would buy an old iphone if it can basically do what a touch does. that way when i move out of the country (this july) i could activate the phone and use it instead of having to get a voice only phone (albeit a much cheaper option per month).

Would y'all say that even a first generation iphone would be fine for the purposes described above? Can I just "turn off the phone" and use the iphone like an ipod touch if I decide not to use it as a phone in my new location?

thanks in advance for your advice.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

If you buy an iPhone in the u.s. it will be locked to AT&T network and you won't be able to use it on any other network without jailbreaking.

3. mike4him thread starter macrumors newbie

true! I would plan on unlocking/jailbreaking either here or there i guess is the assumption. are there models or OS versions that won't allow this?