Buying used iPhone -- what to inspect?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ben1969, Jun 26, 2008.

1. ben1969 macrumors member

I'm meeting a seller tomorrow -- anything beyond the obvious (touch screen, dead pixels, speaker/earpiece functionality, etc.) I need to check out? I assume that I can pop the SIM from my iPhone into the seller's to make calls, right? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. wako macrumors 65816

one of the most important thing I would check out with any in person purchases is to profile them. make sure they dont look shady, they arent carrying any weapons, dont have a huge group behind them that look shady either. thats just me though :D

but really aside from that though, i would personally ask for the S/N before meeting with them check out if it has any warranty left. That would be most important to me. Although physically it might look fine, it would be a damn shame if something internal was wrong and it broke after a day or two.

3. panosg77 macrumors newbie

If the iPhone you're buying is unlocked and you're on a contract with a carrier other than AT&T then yes, you will be able to insert your SIM and make calls. Other than that, I would also check the Wi-Fi connectivity :)

4. PBz macrumors 6502

Just don't feel rushed. If you do leave. I sell lots of tech on CL (local only) & always give the buyer all the time they need. Have wifi available so you can Google dead pixel test, test the speakers, verify warranty online if applicable. Do ALL that you want as you are the buyer & taking all the risk. Also, ask if they will stand behind it for a few days JUST to see their reaction.

Just my $0.02

5. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Hmm... This 4 year old thread was brought back by a newbie's post that has nothing to do with the OP. Interesting.

Anyway, I would check the water damage sensors (on the IPhone 4/4S, one is in the dock connector port, one is in the headphone jack).

6. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Check for pictures, especially since it's a hot chick.

7. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

If you're buying an iPhone 4S, check for Siri otherwise you could end up buying an iPhone 4 and not really know it. This happened to someone on this forum.