Buying Used iPhone- What to Look Out For?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by solo118, Sep 19, 2017.

1. solo118 macrumors 65816

Hi All,

Haven't bought a used phone in a while, but I need something to use until I can order the X.

I was curious to see what I should look out for, as I do not want to end up with an expensive paperweight. The seller advised it is unlocked (originally at&t), so I am bringing a sim card tool, to ensure my tmo sim works.

I have heard of icloud locks, as well as it not being paid off. Is there any way to check this when I meet up with the guy? Anything else to look out for? I will have my 6S with me, so I am curious if there is a reputable and quick way to scan the imei?

Thank you in advance!

2. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

imei.info can be used to check the imei - if I were you, I'd get the imei number from the seller and check that sucker before you even agree to meet up.

If it is unlocked, you should be fine.

iCloud lock has to be disabled before the phone can be restored to factory settings, so don't worry about that.

In terms of finding out if it's been paid off, I'll have to defer to someone else because I have no idea.

3. solo118 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you my friend. Seller says he is uncomfortable sending the imei over to a stranger. I do not blame him, so I will check out this site you gave me once I meet him. Its just a few blocks from my house, so no huge loss if it's a blacklisted phone or whatever.

I also look forward to any comments on checking if the phone has any payments on it, as I believe that would be a deal breaker.

4. kungxpao macrumors 6502

kungxpao

Look in the sim slot and see if the liquid indicator went off (red/pink).

5. Breezygirl macrumors 6502a

Breezygirl

Be careful a clean IMEI doesn’t mean much, could be clean today and reported stolen days or weeks later.

6. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

No problem at all, glad I could help.

Even though I don't have any experience with it, my two cents on the payment issue is this: the seller is the one who would still owe money on the phone, not you...so if he sells the phone and doesn't recoup enough from the sale to pay the phone off, that's his problem and not yours. It might not be that simple in reality, though. The carriers may have some backend stuff they can do that will blacklist a specific phone if payments haven't been received. I flat-out don't know.

If he still owes money, you could "take him at his word" that the proceeds from the sale of the phone to you will be used to pay off the balance...but there you're taking the guy's word.