Buying used iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Richie-chi, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Richie-chi macrumors newbie

Is there anything I need to do to protect myself when buying a used iphone off Ebay or Craigslist?

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I would not buy from Craigslist.

On eBay, only pay with PayPal and do not bid above your PayPal protection.

4. Richie-chi thread starter macrumors newbie

Why not buy from Craiglist? I figured with craigslist I could meet the seller in person and examine the phone in my hand before I purchased it.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Just be careful on CL, you'll get a ton of Nigerian Scammers and if someone does meet you and they are bringing cash, just make sure it's in a very public place and you have at least one other person with you. I like to meet at the UC Berkeley Campus, at the Milano Coffee Shop which is directly across the street from the UC Berkeley Police Department...:eek:

6. Richie-chi thread starter macrumors newbie

I haved an iPhone for 6 months and am purchasing a used one for my wife so I'm not that concerened with the functioning of the iphone. I will compare it to mine and should be able to tell if it's glitchy. My concern is buying an iphone that is stolen or perhaps unable to be activated things that I may have a problem with down the road.

7. Richie-chi thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm meeting them locally at a public place and there is actually no cash involved. I'm trading a in dash DVD player I paid 75.00 for and 4GB 1st gen and a blackberry 8310. So I thought it was a decent deal on my part

8. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Exactly. Ebay has degraded into a faceless den of liars and cheats. I'm not saying everyone on eBay is a crook, but there are enough bad eggs out there to make the whole process quite annoying. You do have to play it safe with Craigslist, but at least both buyer and seller have an opportunity to size up the deal in person before completing the transaction. I've successfully sold everything from electronics to my car on Craigslist with little problem.

9. Robby9279 macrumors regular

For the sake of saving my time, I'm quoting myself from a post that I've already posted in a different thread.

10. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

11. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

But, he is planning on buying a used iPhone...

Your case was different.

12. Richie-chi thread starter macrumors newbie

Met up with her and both phones were in good shape. The iphone was in great shape with no scratches on the screen and just a small ding on the back with all buttons working and in the original box with all the accessories. She said she didn't use it very much cause she switched phones all the time. She had formerly worked at ATT and was getting rid of all her extra phones. The iphone was version 1.1.4 so either she didn't update it or its been sitting around for a while.

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Good onya' OP, congrats...:cool:

14. Robby9279 macrumors regular

I was light minded yesterday :p.
    My best advice is be careful, and if you buy it off eBay, ask for pictures of the phone working with the Seller's name somewhere in the picture, just so you know it's legit. If they deny anything you ask, leave it and find somewhere else to buy.
    EDIT: Seems you've bought it! Congratulations.