Buying used, looking for some advice.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brmaki, Dec 2, 2013.

1. brmaki macrumors regular

brmaki

I'm still using my early 2008 white Macbbook, which has served me well for the close to 6 years that I've had it. I had to replace the hard drive at one point but it's been a killer machine all together.

I'm starting to look for a new (to me) MBP, and began my search with places like themacstore etc. before moving to eBay/ Craigslist. I found a pretty decent deal on a early 2011 MBP that has some cosmetic wear, scratches and such, but nothing that looks too bad. The seller said that he has a receipt from where he took it to the Apple store in June of this year to have the hard drive replaced due to it being dropped.

Should I be right in assuming that since the hard drive was the only thing replaced when he brought it in for service that there was no other serious internal damage? I feel good about getting an older machine, saving hundreds, and still getting several years of good use out of it but I don't know if I should be more concerned about the drop.

What do you folks think?

I'll hopefully have time lated this week to check it out in person.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It would have to be some serious drop to break a hard drive. These days hard drives have drop sensors and the only time I've broken a hard drive was hitting a running one with a hammer.

Then again it could all be perfect, but I would avoid it. Perhaps negotiate the price down.

Anyways I would find something with AppleCare.

What's the specs on the machine and how much is the seller asking?

3. brmaki thread starter macrumors regular

brmaki

It's a 2.3 i5 w/ 4 gigs of RAM and a 500 gig hard drive. He's asking $750, but says the price is negotiable. I was thinking maybe $650 would be a little more fair. I guess the previous drive was the stock 320 gig that came stock in the 2011 MBPs.

He said the battery is still holding a 6+ hour charge which is a plus. I'm just hoping to find good machine for an ok price.

4. brmaki thread starter macrumors regular

brmaki

It might also be worth noting that there are no dents on the body of the computer based on the pictures he sent me. I would think that indicates the drop was less severe, but I'm not sure.

5. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Could've been a failed hard drive or something, but I'd be careful. I'd run any pictures he sent through a gogle image search, I've caught a few scammers who re-used pics. Ask him for the serial # too and check it with apple.