buying used MacBook on Craigslist... please advise

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by pooksie, Jul 25, 2013.

1. pooksie macrumors newbie

hey I'm buying a used MacBook Air on Craigslist... anything I should look out for? it's a couple months old so it has the originally warranty without AppleCare... does the warranty go void since Im buying second hand?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The warranty follows the computer, not the owner. As long as it's less than a year from the time the MBA was bought new from Apple, it's still under warranty and qualifies for AppleCare.

As always, exercise extreme caution when buying through Craigslist, as there are many scams and some potential dangers involved in meeting sellers/buyers.

3. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

The warranty will carry over to the new owner. You can check with Apple to see if the serial number is legit (not stolen). I would definitely research the serial before the meet up, make sure everything matches what is being advertised.

Other than doing the basic check of the computer to see if everything looks and works ok, you can also see how the seller is behaving. You will know if something does not feel right. If you are not 100% confident in the seller/laptop just walk away.

4. pooksie thread starter macrumors newbie

I just talked to the seller on the phone and it's a high school kid who got it as a gift from his grandma last week... apparently he's selling it cuz he has no receipt and he has a rmbp

how much should I pay for the base model 2013 (haswell) 11"?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I would definitely get the serial number and check it to make sure it's under warranty. You can verify remaining warranty/AppleCare coverage for any Mac by entering the serial number here.
    As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), and Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

6. AXs macrumors 6502a

AXs

Make Sure it is Haswell

You initially said it is a couple months old. If it is Haswell he wouldn't have had it much more than a month.

If it is Haswell, probably not more than $100 off retail price.

Would be better to buy a new one.

7. TC25 macrumors 68020

And you believed this. :rolleyes:

8. racer1441 macrumors 68000

And it's stolen. Run away.

9. mattferg macrumors 6502

Do the swap in an Apple store and have the Geniuses have a look at it before paying for it, so they can confirm it's definitely Haswell and there's nothing wrong. Also ask them to run the serial (I think Apple can flag certain devices as stolen, not sure if this is the case)