Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
Hi,

I am thinking about buying a cheap Macbook Pro for my young son. I found a late 2011 13" MBP which according to the seller is in perfect condition but the trackpad needs replacement.

From what I can see on ifixit changing the trackpad is quite easy and the part is not so expensive.

But I am wondering: what is usually the reason for a non-working trackpad. Could this be an indicator of water damage? If so is there an easy way to see it?

Any opinion and known other issues with the late 2011 13" Pro would be very helpful. Thank you.

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
Hi,

I am thinking about buying a cheap Macbook Pro for my young son. I found a late 2011 13" MBP which according to the seller is in perfect condition but the trackpad needs replacement.

From what I can see on ifixit changing the trackpad is quite easy and the part is not so expensive.

But I am wondering: what is usually the reason for a non-working trackpad. Could this be an indicator of water damage? If so is there an easy way to see it?

Any opinion and known other issues with the late 2011 13" Pro would be very helpful. Thank you.

A bad trackpad can be caused by many things. Perhaps the computer had some water damage and right now all that it has is a bad trackpad......but who knows what else might fail over time because of corrosion.

Think twice before buying this!

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
A bad trackpad can be caused by many things. Perhaps the computer had some water damage and right now all that it has is a bad trackpad......but who knows what else might fail over time because of corrosion.

Think twice before buying this!

Thanks, I am thinking twice, which is why I wonder if there is a quick way of detecting other damage without completely tacking it apart (maybe just taking the back cover of)?

raptor402

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2011
Thanks, I am thinking twice, which is why I wonder if there is a quick way of detecting other damage without completely tacking it apart (maybe just taking the back cover of)?

You can take the back cover off to check for corrosion or water residue, but it'll be hard to tell. My brother dropped coke on his 2009 white MacBook. It worked fine for a month before the keyboard started dying.

If the deal is really great, you might want to seriously consider it. The trackpad isn't too expensive. Replacing it is very simple. If it doesn't work out, you can always sell the machine for parts. The display (whole top panel) itself will net a good $200 or so. A top case with a working keyboard can also be quite profitable.

Best of luck!

Raptor

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The only thing that comes to mind when I see a laptop for sale with a bad trackpad - water damage. I'd stay away from the sale, there's no way you'll be able to tell whether it was a victim of liquid spill without opening it up and I doubt the seller would agree to this prior to the sale, regardless if there's water damage or not.

Chris7811

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2012
Personally I would go with the air from 2011 or the new one they are cheap

I personally have the newest macbook air. I recommend it because I got my tutor to buy one and he loves it because he can take it to work and school if he needs to. The pro always has issues with the trac pad I had one it was fine then it stopped working this and there was no water or corrosion on the inside. I swear on my grave it is a great computer. My brother had one but my mom dropped it so I took it and I spilled something on it and I took it apart and no corrosion it just works till it dies. Plus they put way newer things into the air not the pro because my bro has the pro from 2011 and he can't play any games I have yet they work on the air from 2011 with no issues just keep a fan blowing across the fan area and you will be fine (not 5 dollar fans 10-15 is the range you can get one thats usb at walgreens if you have one its not that much for a metal incased fan) but its up to you but my brother and I loved the air when we both had them from 2011 then I sold mine (not enough storage) (gave my brothers to a friend cracked screen) but by this token it is an over all good computer for anyone.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.