Buying used MacBook Pro (discrete model)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by funman895, Jul 7, 2011.

1. funman895 macrumors member

funman895

Hello! I was looking for a 2007-2008 discrete (non-unibody) 15" MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz+ with 256 MB GDDR3 VRAM) to compliment my early 2008 iMac. I recently tried buying one on eBay used for $750, but the seller was not too detailed in his description, leaving out the fact that it freezes to the point where it must be hard-shut down upon boot-up, and that it had pressure points on the screen (as if one stabbed it with a pen multiple times) and that it had obviously been dropped, possibly causing damage to the optical disc drive.

So, I was looking for a laptop for up to $800, a MacBook Pro, to compliment my iMac for portable usage. Keep in mind this computer will be replaced in 3 years when I go to college, as I will buy a nice, new MacBook Pro.

I was wondering:

1. Is this a good choice? Are there better alternatives to this laptop (though I DO want to have Mac OS X natively, I really don't want to hackintosh, nor use an iPad).
    2. Where can I buy one that is around that price range that is in good condition (scratches are fine, display and huge case dings I am worried about)?
    3. Is it even worth it? My 24" iMac works fine at the moment and I'm thinking I might be being illogical in my choice to get a new computer anyway.

All help is appreciated!

-Mike

2. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

3. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Option 3. Don't pay $800 for a 4-5 year old computer that you're planning to use for 3 more years. If your budget is $800, either get a 1 yr old used 13" MBP or a new Windows 15" laptop with 15" MBP specs.

4. ABadSanta macrumors regular

The previous user is right. That money could be used for a windows PC with great, current specs.

Or even better, you could save the $ for when you want to get a new iMac or MBP down the road after your iMac gets dated.

5. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

6. funman895 thread starter macrumors member

funman895

Well the seller who gave me the broken computer is going to upgrade the replacement to a 2.53 GHz 15" unibody to reconcile, so I'll see if this new model is good, and if not I'll just hold out until I <i>need</i> a new computer.