Buying used Macbook pro, friend broke snow Leopard disk

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by happypants, Oct 1, 2009.

1. happypants macrumors newbie

So my friend is going to sell me his fairly new Macbook Pro but the snow leopard disk he got with it snapped (his fault). Is there anyway to get a replacement or free disk or am I going to just have to buy another? If so how cheap can I get one for? It has snow leopard on it now, but would the fact it was bought with snow leopard on it or it was bought before snow leopard was released matter?

2. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

If Apple won't give you a replacement disk for a low cost, I personally would keep the disc and download a retail image, I back up most of my discs anyways and use those for installs etc and keep the originals in good condition.

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

4. relativist macrumors regular

Did he call apple about it, or maybe visit a store?

5. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Suggestions:
    1. Your friend broke the DVD, so he is responsible for replacing it.
    2. Have friend call Apple for a replacement, but not sure since he broke it, Apple would replace it for free.
    3. If said friend can't get it from Apple directly, have said friend go to the Apple store to replace it, ($29.00).
    4. Have friend bring you new SL DVD.
    5. End of story.

6. happypants thread starter macrumors newbie

Where can you download a retail version legally?

Yes, doesn't seem like much but I'm trying to avoid spending more when it should come with the disk. I'm cheap.

No, the disk was broken and thrown away. That's why I'm on here seeing what you guys think I should do, trying to spend the least amount of money of course. I know this isn't like a huge issue that I can't solve myself, but just want some input from you guys.

7. bjorn989 macrumors member

You can't. However, since your friend owns a license for Snow Leopard and is selling that license to you, you legally have the right to get that software from another disk/over the internet.

At least that is what I believe anyway. Nobody should pay for the same software twice.

However, if you are too cheap to pay $29.00 for a Snow Leopard disk, I would question your reasoning for buying a 'fairly new' MacBook Pro. Surely you could just pay your friend $29.00 less than you originally agreed and spend that $29.00 on Snow Leopard.

8. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

How do you break a DVD???? If he broke a DVD I'd question the condition of the computer because this guy sounds like a bull in a china shop. Just buy a Mac from Apple and you'll get your SL DVD and a warranty on the computer.

9. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

That's some pretty murky legal waters, there bjorn...

However, this particular water is rather police-free, so I say as long as you have the box the DVD came in, just pretend the DL-DVD you'll burn has a pretty sticker on it, and get on with your life ;p

10. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

Have your friend discount the MBP by $30 then go buy a retail version.

11. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

I agree....if you're too cheap to spend $29, why are you getting a mac, and a MBP at that? If you're that cheap get a mini :p
    Or if you're deadset on it,then the best thing is what Bjorn said, have your friend take $29 off or have him get you a legal copy of it ::wink, wink::

12. happypants thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea you are right, I won't get it now. Thanks for the advise.

13. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

Wait? You're not buying the MBP because of the SL discs or because you're cheap?

14. LinMac macrumors 65816

1) I bought a Macbook Air from Apple under less than normal circumstances (buying after two returns etc) and I was not given the reload disks when they kept the box for the unit. AppleCare sent a set of reload DVDs to me at no cost.

2) The friend broke the DVDs and suddenly we don't expect Apple to give them to him because they're.. a costly set of $0.50 plastic disks?

To OP: Give AppleCare a call and just ask for a set of reload DVDs. If the computer originally came with Snow Leopard (it wasn't an upgrade DVD) then there is a good chance Apple will just give them to you.

Yes, I expect free reload DVDs from Apple after spending $7000 on Apple products in the last 3 years. Sending me a set of $0.50 (their cost) reload DVDs if I need them is the least they can do at the prices we pay for their computers and service.