Buying Used Macbook Pro...How To Disable Find my Mac

matty1551

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
I'm possibly pulling the trigger on a used MBP from craigslist. My question is this, how can I check the status of find my mac before buying? The last thing I want is to purchase it only to be locked out by the seller or someone else.

simonsi

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Check that this has been done...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT201065

If the seller can't do this then likely he is missing a password, then the "someone else" you refer to might well be "the previous owner".

Needless to say you should ideally witness this being done...if it has already been wiped and a clean install done then you won't know if the seller had the necessary password(s) or not...

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
There's a bit more on the macbook side. The drive could be encrypted, but that can be beat by replacing the drive and doing a fresh install. The only no-go factor as far as I know is the firmware being locked.

matty1551

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
Check that this has been done...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT201065

If the seller can't do this then likely he is missing a password, then the "someone else" you refer to might well be "the previous owner".

Needless to say you should ideally witness this being done...if it has already been wiped and a clean install done then you won't know if the seller had the necessary password(s) or not...
We're meeting at a starbucks. So I should have time to sit down and check find my mac and also the firmware lock.

How do you check the firmware lock status? Boot and hold command + r, right?

EDIT: And yes, if either of these are enabled and he can not remove them in front of me, I won't be buying. Don't want stolen merchandise on my hands.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
We're meeting at a starbucks. So I should have time to sit down and check find my mac and also the firmware lock.

How do you check the firmware lock status? Boot and hold command + r, right?

EDIT: And yes, if either of these are enabled and he can not remove them in front of me, I won't be buying.
I don't remember, worth goggling. I think that is it, though.

matty1551

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
Everything went well. Scored a 2011, Matte, 2.2, 15" for $640.

Thanks for the advice yall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.