Buying used MBP (Late 2006)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TimBrandt, Oct 26, 2008.

1. TimBrandt macrumors newbie

I've found a used MBP (Late 2006, MA609LL) for sale, but can't really decide if it's a good buy. The owner bought it in August 2007, which is right after the new model arrive, but it's still the "old model" with 128MB X1600 and LCD-screen.

He wants $1013 for it. I live in Denmark, and the prices are a bit higher than in the US. Here are some for comparison. They are all new from the Apple store, and configured the same way as in the US. It's only the price (and the keyboard layout) that's different.

Macbook White 2.1
    $1233

Macbook Alu 2.0
    $1570

Macbook Pro 2.4
    $2364

My other options are buying a new Macbook Alu 2.0, or a Macbook White 2.1. Money is an issue, and the higher resolution would be very nice. It's just a question if the older MBP is a trustworthy and good machine.

2. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Yes, that's a trustworthy machine for sure. It comes with FireWire, which a new MacBook won't, has the bigger, much higher quality screen, and will not have the dreaded NVidia GPU problem that the next generation does. It also has an Expresscard slot, which can come in very handy. Backlit keyboard, DVI out, etc. It's the best one of those you've mentioned.

3. bjorn989 macrumors member

Haha, funny you should post this... I just bought a Macbook Pro of the same vintage off ebay. It is the Core 2 Duo model with F/W 800/400 ports. It should be arriving in a couple of days. I got it for $1000 AUD, which is a bargain in my opinion.

Good luck!

4. TimBrandt thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow really? That sounds awesome. Is that screen really better than the LED's?

5. TimBrandt thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice :) Thanks. I guess my main concern is if something should go wrong with it. I have buying used, but I like saving money more... especially when I don't really have it :)

6. bjorn989 macrumors member

Yeah I have the same problem! I was going to buy one of the new MacBooks if they were the same price or lower than the old ones. I had waited since around May this year for them to come out. In Australia, our dollar fell and we have to pay $400 more than the old ones.

I am excited about my Macbook Pro though. Really cannot wait to kick the windows habit for good!

7. TimBrandt thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha. Funny. I've been waiting for about ½ a year to. Wanted to wait to see the new MacBooks, and they sure are cool, but just to expensive for me, not to mention the MacBook Pros. I have to make up my mind today though, so who knows... I might be owning my first Mac later today :)

I'm still a bit worried though... mainly about the quality of the screen and some of the other issues MacBook Pros are know for... heat n stuff.

8. TimBrandt thread starter macrumors newbie

Anybody have a reason not to buy this machine?

9. LinMac macrumors 65816

Check the performance benchmarks to get an idea of how fast it is compared to newer models. You'll have to judge the speed vs. cost for yourself.

I liked my Macbook Pro Classic from Mid 2007, but that was just me.

10. TimBrandt thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the performace is of less concern to me... I mean I know that it's an awesome machine. It's more if there's anything in that series of notebooks, that has issues which I have to be on the lookout for, or that I might experience soon.

11. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

Sounds good - the only defect it may have (depending on the model) is the 8600 GT GPU issue.

Apple have commented that they will replace it for free if it is affected even if it is outside warrenty so maybe it's a non issu e- but something to be aware of.

Other than that I hope you like the machine - I have an old gen MBP and it's a great machine.

12. infernohellion macrumors 6502

infernohellion

This machine the thread maker is talking about is not using that graphic card. It's using X1600.

13. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

It's better than the LED screens on the new aluminum MacBooks. If you search the forums, you'll find some long threads about the poor quality of the new screens.

14. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

I too own this model - I bought it right after the new model came out so I got a deal on it.

It's worked very well and I haven't had any problems with it. I've since installed a 320GB hard drive it in and will likely last me several more years!

15. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

I have the exact same machine you're looking at buying (check your pm's, OP!) and love it.

It does get hot, though.

16. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

They all do, unfortunately. The newest ones are no exception.

17. weckart macrumors 68040

Better than the Macbooks, noticeably worse than all the Macbook Pros that followed. I had one of that vintage and it had a very grainy screen that no amount of calibration could disguise. Whites were grey/silver and contrast was a real problem. It was particularly noticeable under Windows, where small fonts were very hard to read. There were plenty of ranty threads about it here.

Like all of Apple's hardware of the last few years, it is a bit of a lottery. You may get a good one or a rotten one. Consistency in quality is a thing of the past. Best to see it before you part with your money.

18. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Yeah, that's the nice thing about buying a used laptop that you can inspect. It's a known quantity, as opposed to getting the luck-of-the-draw when you order a new one.

19. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I have the MBP 2.16 model with the Matte screen, and i haven't had any issues with mine. It is one of the best Mac Laptops i have had, out of the four i have owned.

20. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Ah, thanks for the info :)

andy.

21. bjorn989 macrumors member

I just received the one I bought off ebay. I had to buy Leopard and ilife separately, but overall, I am thoroughly impressed with the unit. There a few marks on it and it runs quite warm but the performance completely blows my old desktop (Acer aspire P4 2.93GhZ) out of the water. This is also my first OSX laptop and it is so easy to get used to.

The ebay ad said that it was a Core 2 duo 2Ghz model. I just assumed that it would be the low end late 2006 model but when I got it I found that it was the 2.33Ghz! So happy!

Also did a battery test and even though the laptop is almost 2 years old, the test (coconutBattery) said it has had only 17 cycles through it! Great times. Best day ever!

22. TimBrandt thread starter macrumors newbie

Congrats :)

I haven't bought one yet. Haven't decided if I should get an iMac instead.

23. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Reason Not To Buy!!!

Just kidding. There are NO reasons NOT to buy it unless you dwell on having the newest latest greatest gadgets.

I personally bought my MBP v 2,2 (that is what the model code is in system profiler) in April 2007. It has the matte screen and Apple Care. It is absolutely SOLID as a ROCK. It has the 256 MB ATI graphics card so NO bad Nvidia chip to worry about overheating. Also, it is the 2.33 GHz $2500 model 15"... hopefully that is what yours is... I cannot remember if you said.

I THOUGHT I wanted to upgrade to a NEW MBP in nine to twelve months but wanted ALL of the problems worked out on the new MBP and wanted to wait for things like 8 GB Memory, Snow Leopard, and Dual Graphics and etc etc etc. I saw the new MBs and thought perfect little machine to try out the single computer model with no more lugging around two laptops. Up to this point, I had used two computers (the MBP v 2,2 and a Dell Precision M70 Notebook 9lbs). I have posted some pretty nice words about the new MB and MBP, but I must say I MISS WORKING ON MY v 2,2 MBP. I miss the screen size, I miss the matte (I do like the LED displays but I am noticing that it is harder on my eyes - by the end of the day, I wish I had my matte display), and I miss the Express Card port (which I used for ATT 3G Wireless whenever away from a WiFi network).

I also must say that I have already contemplated going BACK on my own words and ideas and taking back my brand new MB and going back to the MBP I love so much (I have five more days but will cost $150 to do it). In addition, the MBP has Apple Care for another 18 months, a bigger screen, and a beautiful overall look. It is absolutely ROCK SOLID and I can wait for the software, memory, and etc to catch up with the new MBP. By the time my Apple Care expires on the MBP, the new MBP should be a real revolutionary replacement (as opposed to right now it has a lot of potential, but NOT much of that potential is being used at all).

I truly thought I would love every minute of the "upgrade" but it hasn't been all it's cracked up to be. I don't wish to hurt my new little MB's feelings, but maybe I just am to used to the MBP to go "down" to the MB??? Maybe it wasn't a fair fight for the new little MacBook.

I thought I the 13.3" display was big enough AND if I could run Windows on it in Boot Camp and use ONE instead of two computers like I had in the past. And I thought smaller is lighter and all is BETTER. NOT SO FAST.

So, I recommend you buy the MBP. I believe you will LOVE every minute of it. You will NEVER have to worry about Nvidia overheating either.

If I do end up taking back the new little MB, I will sell the Dell Precision and run Windows in Boot Camp on my v 2,2 MBP. I just never got around to it before, but if I make the commitment to stick with it for another twelve to eighteen months I am going to spend some money making it cool with some new software and etc. The money I get back from the MB could be put into some stocks and that $1700 will probably pay for the MBP in a year... depends on where I put it I guess???

Anyways, best wishes with the new v 2,2 MBP. I hope it works as well for you as it did(does) for me.

cheers...

24. bjorn989 macrumors member

That is the exact model that I have. I was surprised by the performance of this machine, being two years old I thought it would have some lag even with a fresh OSX install. Maybe I am still thinking in a Windows way. I cannot say how impressed by the build quality and responsiveness. This will definitely be a great laptop for a couple of years for the things that I will be doing (word processing, web browsing and e-mail). It already seems like it is overkill having all this power and not using it. I am sure I will find some way to bog it down, I always seem to do that with computers.

As I said in the last post, just do it. Make sure you check out the machine condition, but there is absolutely no reason I can see not to buy this model. especially at this price.