Buying used MBP on Amazon

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bigjnyc, Oct 30, 2012.

1. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I saw this deal on Amazon for a used MBP retina display... it seems too good to be true (and you know how the saying goes) however I am not familiar with Amazon and not sure how buying used items works..... Is it fully guaranteed by Amazon? Or is it a free for all more like craigslist.... where if you get scammed you SOL?

Attached Files:

2. MacSignal macrumors regular

There are warning signs on that listing that would cause me to pass it up.

While doing some prior shopping on Amazon for used Mac laptops, I came across a seller that was opening a new store under a different name, listed in a different state, about every 12 hours.

I saw this go on for a couple of days before I reported it. The experience of reporting and Amazon's response caused me to suppose that it might be an excellent venue for scammers.

3. twiggy0 macrumors 6502

This is a common practice for scammers on Amazon. They create a listing, and once you make a purchase from them they send you an email saying to please send the funds via T/T or Western Union, or something like that. Your actual credit card does get charged for the $1500 but it's not at risk, since it's held by amazon for two weeks before being disbursed. (and by that time, you'd realize a product hasn't been received, and on top of that I don't actually think they link any bank accounts to it if you were to not do anything for two weeks). The process for them is automated though, so they send this out to dozens of people in hopes that one will take the bait.

In general, never buy from someone with no feedback that's offering something at an amazing price.

4. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess it's just as risky. I thought maybe amazon had a more stringent verification process for people to sell used items