Buying used MBP. Possibly to check for pirated apps before hand?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by felch, Nov 21, 2010.

1. felch macrumors member

Im buying a used MBP and Im worried that there may be pirated software on it. Its coming with the latest OSX and Aperture 3 installed, but no discs.

This will be my first time using OSX so Im not familiar with how things work. I know on my PC when I connect to windows update I am able to see if the operating system is genuine or not. Since both Aperture 3 and OSX are Apple products is there a way I can connect to the internet and verify they are not pirated before purchasing?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

A new or used MBP will never come with aperture 3 pre installed without the actual discs being somewhere in that package. This is not specific to aperture or a Mac, its common sense. Software installed on a machine without install discs is pirated software.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Did you ask why they don't have the discs? You really NEED discs in case you ever need to restore the OS. You can pick up a legit Snow Leopard disc from the Apple Store for only $30.

4. felch thread starter macrumors member

Im buying from a coworker whos apartment burned down a few weeks back so I can understand why he would not have the discs but I would still like to make sure.

My biggest concern is signing in my my Apple ID and having Apple detect pirated software and flagging my account. I wasnt aware that a new OSX disc would be so cheap and Aperture isnt all that important to me since I already have Lightroom 3.

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It doesn't work like that. They aren't going to come busting your doors down. if you are worried, I would just buy a new SL disc. Did you ask your coworker if the software is legit? I would assume they would tell you the truth.

6. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

Definely purchase the Snow Leopard disc just in case you have to restore as that is always good to have!

7. felch thread starter macrumors member

8. yellowmuffins macrumors newbie

Don't even fret. Apple doesn't care about pirated software, hence why they don't even bother with serial numbers.

9. RELOAD911 macrumors member

Apreture does have a serial number.

10. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

It does. They allow it to be used on two computers. (laptop desktop)

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

Apple does care about pirated software, but so far they have not resorted to serial numbers. Apple does go after places that sell illegal copies of OSx, but it's not worth it to go after individuals who have copies and don't resell.

12. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Yes but only one at a time.

13. DaftZombie macrumors member

Don't worry about it. I had lost a disk for a program a while back but since I needed to use it right away and the demo wouldn't suffice, I installed a pirated copy until the replacement disk arrived. I thought I heard someone outside my window the night I pirated the program, though. Was a balding guy in a turtleneck...hmm.

14. DVD9, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2010

DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Wow. I'll bet this coworker would withdraw the offer and stop talking to you if he/she knew you were thinking along these lines.

15. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

wow chill out.. he just didn't want to be ripped off. Just because you work with someone doesn't mean you should trust them

16. felch, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2010

felch thread starter macrumors member

Im 6'5 and 270lbs so I highly doubt anyone is going to punch me in the mouth for a legitimate concern. Nobody has ever gotten upset when I requested to run the VIN number on every used car I have purchased either.

Thanks to those who helped.

17. molala macrumors 6502a

Yes, but I hate it when someone asks for the VIN number on the phone before even looking at the car first. Sorry, your post just reminded me of that.

Back on topic... nothing wrong with asking if your coworker has the software install discs. I always reinstall the OS and other software whenever I get a 2nd hand Mac.

18. 7thMac macrumors 6502

If you know the person you should be able to rely on their representations. If you do not know the person, if there are no disks, anything is possible and you need to ask what happened to them. Most people keep the discs if they are paying $200 for a program.

19. Periastron macrumors newbie

Nuts to "just in case". If I were the seller, I'd knock the price down by the cost of a copy of Snow Leopard and wipe the machine. Alternatively, as the buyer, I'd be writing off the copy of Aperture and wiping the machine myself, for the peace of mind of starting from a factory state and not having to deal with someone else's accumulated cruft.

I understand that by getting rid of Aperture, one is destroying value, but in the absence of any way to reinstall it, one is possibly only using it on borrowed time to begin with.

20. Jmouse macrumors 6502

i Cant believe no one has pointed this out yet.

What if the Apreture 3 is purchased through APPSTORE? Hence no disk?

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They haven't mentioned it because this older thread was posted before the Mac App Store existed.

22. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

Some people try to inflate the price of their Mac by "disk loading" software without providing the actual license. I see a lot of this on Craigslist.

You will see a base model MacBook or MacBook Pro but also installed with CS5, Microsoft Office, etc.

These people think that by doing this actually "adds" value to their machine. When I shop around for used Mac hardware, I always knock their asking price down unless they are providing me the original proof of license and or install disc.

Even a purchase from the Mac App store such as Aperture would be tied to a users account the same as iTunes content wouldn't it?