Buying Used MBP - What to look for / check?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by metroid87706, Dec 4, 2008.

1. metroid87706 macrumors regular

metroid87706

So I'm buying a used MacBook Pro 2.2GHz / 2GB / 120GB / 8600GT and wanted to know when I see the guy (again) what to look for.
    I met up with him Wednesday, and I looked it over, and everything seemed good, except a dent in the back, but it wasn't that bad. Pictures can be seen here: http://detroit.craigslist.org/sys/942233835.html
    Limited Warranty AppleCare ends Dec. 26th, so I'll buy it to extend it for 2 years.
    The MBP has an Incase Black Plastic cover, so it covers and protects it. I will be removing it before I buy to make sure it looks OK.
    Battery health 85%. 2:30 time on an 80% charge.
    I am picking it up tomorrow for $1100. It looked great, and well worth the cash. Reason its cheap is he works at Apple, so he gets the 25% discount and wants to sell this to get the new MB 2.0GHz. He said if he sold it at half what he paid, it'd get him enough.
    He works at the Apple Store near me, so I know if I have an issue, where to find him. XD

In all, checked:
    Battery
    Performace
    System Profiler
    Keyboard Backlight
    Speakers
    Display

So, what should I look for that I didn't check?

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Well, if it's under warranty, then what's the worry?

3. pinback pro macrumors member

pinback pro

just be sure to meet in a very public area, maybe take somebody else with you...there's been reports of folks takin cash to a craigslist deal and getting held up for the money.

otherwise, it looks good. i would be a little bit worried about the dent. seems odd he didn't get that replaced when he works at the store. its a good price. i bought the 2.16 C2D for the same price....but no dent! :eek::D

4. metroid87706 thread starter macrumors regular

metroid87706

The guy was really nice, doubt he'd scam me. I have seen him at our store, so... yeah. I'm meeting up at Panera Bread, with a lot of people around. and my mom is with me.

Would the dent make them refuse service on it, because they might think it might be caused because of a drop?

He said he was going to take it in, and because he works at Apple, he might be able to get me a new battery for me. I don't think he can do anything about the dent though. It' doesn't bother me. I might even be able to bend it back into shape, but it would take a lot of work, but I wont unless I really need to.

5. pinback pro macrumors member

pinback pro

sounds like you've got a good plan there about the dent. i doubt it will haunt you.

if you just wanted to get down and dirty about it you could get the app called Leopard Cache Cleaner. you can put it on a thumb drive, run it on the mbp, and it'll tell you if there are any probs. pretty awesome. i like it a lot!

6. metroid87706 thread starter macrumors regular

metroid87706

Well, he's doing a fresh restore at the very moment as I type this, so I doubt I'll have OS Problems.

Now, the graphics issue. Didn't Apple say you have 2 years after purchase date to have it fixed even after warranty ends?

7. Chris F macrumors regular

GPU warranty is 2 years from the date of purchase and is not really relevant if you are going to extend the Applecare since that would cover it.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Good luck, that sounds like a good deal. As other posters have pointed out, make sure you have company in a public place when you trade your cash for the MBP, but it sounds a good price and a good deal. Enjoy your MBP, it is an excellent computer.

Cheers and good luck