buying used MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by doobybiggs, Mar 21, 2012.

1. doobybiggs macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

I just got a mini and loving it. Now I want to trade in my laptop and pick up a MBP.

I am probably gonna end up getting around a 2008 maybe 09 model for my price range.

Anything I should watch out for? Is ebay still a good place for these MBPs?

2. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

3. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

If you can swing it, go for a 2010. Prior to that was the day of the C2D chip. The first generation iX chips are significantly better - my 2.4 i5 chip in my 2010 MBP performed 25-50% better than my old 3.06 C2D for my major tasks. Also, starting with the late 2009 models, the screens where much better - 60% color gamut increase. Lastly, if you want to get a few years out of it, best to not get something that is already 4 years old. You'll be replacing low life, pun intended, batteries, and not sure what year they came out with the trackpad, I think 2009.

As far as ebay, look for sellers that have been there for years, sold a lot, and have near perfect review scores. I sold 3 older macs on ebay - great place to buy but hard on the seller due to fees.

Also, once the 2012's come out there may be a price drop on the more recent MBP as refurbs at the apple site. I know mine took a tumble in price drop once the 2011's came out. Here's a link to the refurb store
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

4. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

Hmmmm thanks for the info! You have talked me into moving up to a 2010 lol.

Is there a set date on the 2012 release yet? I may wait on that if it is going to be soon. How much of a price drop do you think it will be?

5. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

BTW - you didn't mention that size you are looking for. The 13" 2010 models did not use the newer CPU's, only the 15 and 17" models. In 2011 the 13" models used the new CPU's and had geek scored nearly 2x higher.

The new MBP's should be out within the next 1 - 3 months - probably closer to the 1 month. There have even been rumors that they are currently in production.

The thing is, the rumors have it that they should 1) include the next generation iX chips which use less power/run cooler and 2) that the new models will be a redesign. Both of these changes will bring likely result in devaluing all current models since that would be a major product update.

There was a thread about two months ago about Amazon warehouse deals where a member was able to get an incredible deal on a returned or restocked MBP. Normally the warranty begins the day it is turned on but he was able to call apple and have the clock on his warranty start at the time of purchase. I remember his deal was so good I was temped to pick one up and sell mine but I am perfectly happy with mine and I upgraded the ram and hard drive on my own. Those deals occur now and then and worth keeping an eye on. I got mine at Amazon on the black friday sale in Nov 2010.

6. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

ya I noticed the different CPUs once I started looking.

hmmm if they are only about a month away, I may wait and let the prices drop before buying ...

7. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

8. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Strictly speaking the new Ivy Bridge CPU's are not yet/officially released from Intel. I would expect the new macs to be announced shortly after that and be in stores within 1 - 7 days depending on where one shops.

My guess, and its just a guess, is this will happen in about 4 weeks - but stuff happens and it could be longer, and rumors are just that, rumors.

9. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

lol true .. the ol rumor mill is nasty but from everything I have read you seem to be pretty close to what I was thinking too.

I guess this release has more to do with Intel than just Apple making another deadline. So having to rely on another company like Intel could delay it a little longer than normal.

10. hafr macrumors 68030

Intel shipping units to Apple and Apple having production lines running doesn't in any way mean a release to the public is imminent. Also, two large releases within a month sounds a bit close to be Apple.

Maybe a new MBA in late spring/early summer and a new MBP late summer/early fall?

11. lichi0323 macrumors newbie

I've telling people to check the open items at Best Buy, I got a great deal for my early 2011 13 Inch Macbook Pro ($750) and for $100 extra I got the protection plan. But then I don't know what's your budget.

12. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

not a bad idea there ... budget is about $600 and $700 at most if I can keep it under that ...

13. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

So having to rely on another company like Intel could delay it a little longer than normal.

After Intel it becomes a Apple thing and they will do what they want to do when they want to do it. A little over two years ago I decided to make the move from an aging Pentium 4 CPU XP desktop to a new 15" MBP. Historically, they had updated the MBP about every 8 months and the new Intel iX chips were the new thing. So I waited, Intel released the new chips, then every computer company except for apple sported the new chips. I wait and waited and then finally, because I needed a new computer, had to buy the existing models - so I bought a refurb 2009 iMac and a 13" MBP for travel. You know that was the sign for Apple to finally, after roughly 11 months, release the new models. Sadly, I hated the iMac because it was murder on my eyes so I sold both about 5 or so months later and then picked up what I had waited for, a 15" MBP with the new Arrandale chips. Although I got a good price for the 15" MBP on black friday sale, the value dropped like a rock 3 months later when Apple upgraded again to the almost 2x faster sandy bridge quad cores - Apple dropped the refurb price to $1,299 for what I just bought. Yeah, that stunk but I love my 15" so no complaints regarding performance. It would not be so bad if apple dropped the price of their products as they age and cost come down - like every other electronics manufacturer in the world. That's the snag and why it is best to buy close to the beginning of a new product cycle and why I expect prices to drop once the new (and possibly improved and redesigned) models come out.

14. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

LOL! that sounds about right. I wait and wait then give in and buy something only for the new stuff to show up a month or 2 later.

Why was the iMac murder on your eyes?

15. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Why was the iMac murder on your eyes?

As one gets old they develop presbyopia (inability to focus closely) and the high resolution of the iMac was a strain on my eyes. The iMac has a resolution of about 110 ppi, that along with the fact that it is big, and big means it needs to be pushed back (unlike the same pixel density but held closer to the eyes) making the fonts too small. I wear glasses but it was still an eye strain. I tried making the default fonts large but then some web pages loaded horribly with areas overlapping... The solution was to lower the native resolution which worked okay but then it defeats the purpose. So I sold it and went with my 15" MBP and I use a 26 external monitor for my photography work (which is a superior monitor as far as color and it is also non-glossy). That monitor has a pixel density of 86 ppi and thus us very easy on my eyes.

Even with my MBP I have to use the aA tabs (see picture) when I open a new tab in safari to make the fonts usable. So I hate the high resolution 15" MBP as well as the 17". Since Safari for iPad does not have the option to increase fonts size like regular Safari, an iPad is not for me. But, I have a Kindle from Amazon and can adjust the fonts and since I bought that I read at least 3x more than before.

My big fear is that Apple will make a high resolution 15" without the normal option. If that happens, people like myself will have to abandon apple - I hope that doesn't happen and I hope that Apple doesn't decide to make product just for young people since young people will get old. It is not a question of being able to read it, it is more about prolong use that can make ones eyes scream with pain.

If none of this makes sense to you than consider yourself lucky. I had perfect 20/20 vision until my mid 40's, I am now in my mid-50's and understand what my parents kept telling me long ago

Attached Files: