Buying used mini without CDs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brynmr, Apr 13, 2010.

1. brynmr macrumors newbie

What are the problems with buying a used Mini without the original install disks? I'm looking at a 1.66 with Snow Leopard installed 300.00.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

If you ever have a problem and need to reinstall, you will have to purchase new disks. Apple will sell you new copies of the original restore disks or you can buy a new copy of snow leopard and a new copy of iLife.

3. brynmr thread starter macrumors newbie

Would that be pricey? I've seen snow leopard CDs for $40 used. My current old Mini crashed once (in 5 years).

4. finnschi macrumors 6502

Snow leopard is 29$ ( althought to be 100% legal you should be buying the 99$ pack (iLife included) I am not sure about the legal stuff, if you own any software licenses that are on a used computer or not (on windows it comes and goes with the serial, but on a mac...)

well you should be fine with the $29 "upgrade" license , which also works for reinstalling :cool:

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I wouldn't buy the machine and I wouldn't buy the machine without install discs.

6. brynmr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input. I've got a new Mini with the install disk. I don't suppose it work on the 1.66?

Jessica: It's hard to find older intel Macs @ $300.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

restore disks are system specific.

8. brynmr thread starter macrumors newbie