Buying used on Craigslist--NOT on how to avoid scammers

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JonathanWarrick, Jan 7, 2009.

1. JonathanWarrick macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I was originally going to go for a refurb from apple, but I've been looking at Craigslist and if I can save a few hundred dollars and put that toward AppleCare, I figure why not?

What are the things I should look/ask for on craigslist before I buy? I was thinking a screenshot of the system profile to make sure the specs are correct, the serial number so I can check when the warranty goes til, along with the obvious cosmetic/operating issues.

Correct me if I'm wrong please, but if I buy it from Apple and something goes wrong or I buy it from someone random and something goes wrong, the warranty will hold either way, so why not save money?

Any advice and input is always appreciated!

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Meet the person, and come with at least one other dude.

If the deal is too good to be true, then do not do it. Also don't pay him without seeing the product.

The warranty is tied to the serial #, so regardless from where you get it from it will have warranty (unless stolen). So ask for serial number and check the warranty before buying.

Good luck.

3. stevo8 macrumors 6502

I'm very interested in this as well. With my last purchase I just brought it into a apple store and they transfered the apple care into my name. The computer/AppleCare though had never been registered to anyone so I'm not sure if that is the way it usually works.

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

echoing what acfusion29 said. You will be anxious to get the computer in your hand, i'm sure. but please do check the serial number so you the deal is on the up and up. it'll also tell you when the warranty is up. I HIGHLY recommend that if you buy a used computer that it be under warranty.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

The whole point of Craigslist as opposed to eBay is that with Craigslist you are buying face to face, in person. You can see the computer and try it out. You hand over cash he hands you a computer. Hard to get ripped off that way unless you don't do a good enough inspection before you buy. Part of that inspection is to verify that the computer does in fact have Apple Care. Bring your cell phone so you can call Apple and ask. Another part of the inspection is to test the battery. Let the computer run for a while.

6. JonathanWarrick thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not specifically looking for Apple Care to come with it--What I'm saying is that if I save a few hundred by going on Craigslist and it's still in warranty, I am going to put the money I saved toward Apple Care.

As for the battery life, how can I test it to make sure it's ok in the most efficient and time-effective way possible so I'm not sitting in some random person's apartment for an hour?

7. stevo8 macrumors 6502

Is there somewhere on apples site you can check the status of the apple care?

8. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Running iStat or coconut battery will give you an idea of the battery health in general by telling you the maximum current capacity of the battery vs. the max when it was new.

10. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

As far as I know, if the computer doesnt come with Apple Care, you will NOT be able to purchase it. To extend Apple Care I believe you have to purchase it before the original 1 year runs out.

11. JonathanWarrick thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm looking for one that has been purchased within the last year, so I'm pretty sure I can purchase AppleCare and apply it any time before that first year is up. Can someone clarify this please?

12. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

So long as your purchase the AppleCare before the 1 year standard warranty runs out, you're fine.

If the original warranty has run out, you cannot buy an AppleCare extension.

13. frogcat macrumors member

Hey good to know you are trying to use craigslist. That place needs more honest people.

What I do is I download coconut battery onto a USB key, and I use it to test the battery of the computer I am about to buy. It takes one minute max to install and run. The great thing about coconut battery is that it also shows you how old their computer is. I've been told several lies about this to trick me into buying the computer passed the warranty date.

Hope you come out a happy customer.

14. joeybagadonutz macrumors member

I have had good luck buying on CL. +1 on asking for the SN. Always get a clear understanding of condition during the price discussion. I only buy products if they have the box and original disks. That weeds out the stolen units and is worth the extra cost.