Buying used Verizon iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by roflc0pter, Jun 8, 2011.

1. roflc0pter macrumors regular

Hey everyone. I was looking at buying a used Verizon iPad 2 and had a couple of questions.

1. Will I need Verizon service right away to use it or can I simply just plug it into iTunes to bypass the plug in iTunes screen?

2. Is there such thing as a bad ESN/MEID iPad 2? I know with AT&T, everything is done with the micro SIM card. I'm not sure how the activation process works with Verizon.

Thanks!

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

Assuming there's no obvious indication of abuse the thing's still under at least 9 months of warranty, so should you discover any problems with 3G Apple will help you out.

3. roflc0pter thread starter macrumors regular

Will I intend to activate Verizon later and use it as WiFi only for the time being. That should be possible right?

4. moomoopanda macrumors member

Yes. With the Verizon 3G iPad, you can choose to signup, and cancel 3G service at any time.

5. jesterscourt macrumors regular

First, ask for the MEID and call Verizon and ask them to run it to see if it's reported as lost/stolen. Won't cost you anything, and then you will have piece of mind.

Secondly, Verizon only covers the original purchaser in regards to warranty, so if you are buying secondhand, you would HAVE to go with Apple.

I had cellphone service with them years back, and learned both of these things the hard way, learn from my mistakes. :D