Buying used - where to look?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tominabox1, Dec 21, 2008.

1. tominabox1 macrumors regular

Hey everybody, first post on here but long time follower of the site. I'm going to be buying my first iMac soon and I want to buy used or refurb. I've been looking at L.A. Computer Company and of course the Apple Refurb store but I'm not sure what exactly to do. I want a 20" iMac Core 2 Duo at no less than 2.16 GHz and 1 Gig RAM. I don't really care whether it's the new Aluminum ones or an older white one. The question is, where should I look that I havent looked so far? Is LA Computer a reputable dealer for used macs?

I'm sure some of you have some experience in that department so lemme know you're anecdotes!

thanks!
    Tominabox1

2. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

I don't know.... But I just came across this site a few weeks ago and actually saw an ad for it in this topic (wierd) but anyway it's a way to get items cheap you just need to play smart, very similar to gambling so just be careful. http://Swoop.com

3. tominabox1 thread starter macrumors regular

The link isnt working for me unfortunately. Thanks for the info though.

I also have been checking Craigslist but there's not much around me unfortunately (South West Indiana).

4. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

Sorry my bad not Swoop but Swoopo.com

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Since you're in LA too. Try looking at Craigslist.com for local iMacs.

6. tominabox1 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not actually in LA, I was looking at their website - I'm in Indiana.

7. naid macrumors regular

Craigslist is a good resource but you have to use extra caution. Deal locally if possible. Otherwise, Apple's refurb store seems to have some pretty good deals.

8. edgew8 macrumors regular

edgew8

Dear Lord, DO NOT USE swoopo!! Dollar bidding is a suckers game. You have to pay even if you lose:( and it costs 75 cents just to bid a penny increment. Very very lame, unless your the winner;).