Buying Where You Don't Live

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nagooya, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Nagooya macrumors 6502

Nagooya

I'm out of town on Friday, so is it possible to get an area code for my phone that is from where I live?

2. mlukens macrumors member

You should be able to, I dont see why not, as long as you're within the same country.

3. Nagooya thread starter macrumors 6502

Nagooya

Okay, that's good to know. Has anyone had this done before?

4. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

With my current carrier, I got a 213 area code when I lived in 949...but that's roughly the same metro area. I don't know how it works from farther away.

5. Nagooya thread starter macrumors 6502

Nagooya

Is it possible to request 949 if you live there, but buy the phone in another area code? Do you know?:eek:

6. mlukens macrumors member

I am fairly certain they give an area code based on your address not the store, I have an 816 area code and have purchased phones in a 913 area code with no issues.

7. Jimmyz macrumors regular

There isn't a problem... I got my blackberry in CA and was able to get a 212 cell number actually.

8. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Sorry...I guess I should have been more clear. I requested and got a 213 area code, when I lived in 949 (and the store was in 310, I think)...I could have gotten a 949, but chose 213 instead. But like I said before, I don't know how much, if any, the fact that all of these area codes are in the LA region played.

How about calling an AT&T store in Vegas and asking them? I'd imagine if they can do it now with there current selection, that the iPhone isn't going to change that.

9. Nagooya thread starter macrumors 6502

Nagooya

Thanks for the replies, it really helps ease my worries about this life-changing gadget.:p

10. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I have done it in the past with other carriers. In fact, I am going to be transferring a 732 number (New Jersey) to California. I called AT&T a few times to confirm it and they said it wouldn't be a problem. (Which I didn't think it would be)

11. Nagooya thread starter macrumors 6502

Nagooya

I'm relieved now. :) I just need the iPhone ASAP.:eek:

12. taberrr macrumors regular

Same here... I was planning on waiting to buy AFTER I move to NY... but I called AT&T and apparently I can just get a new # for the phone in my NY area code after I move, so now I'm all about getting it here. :)