Buying Window 7 to run Bootcamp, where?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chiuy, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Chiuy macrumors 6502

Where can I cheaply buy a Window 7 FULL Version to run bootcamp?
    Any suggestion?
    I'm a college student and I'm trying to see if there is an education discount or not.

I saw a Window 7 Professional on the education site for $30, but I assume that is only to upgrade your current Window 7.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. altecXP macrumors 65816

OEM version on newegg.com

3. Trentolol macrumors member

Trentolol

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

newegg sells oem home premium copies for $99 and free shipping.

5. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

The upgrade for $30 technically works fine - you don't need a full or OEM version. You can install it as a trial (i.e. don't put in a CD key), then install it again to "upgrade". AFAIK, there's no difference in discs between a full and upgrade copy, just a different CD key.

I'm saying this because I'm assuming somewhere you own an old copy of Windows, thereby making you eligible for the upgrade.

6. Sgt93 macrumors 6502

Sgt93

Your school should have a list of online vendors they partner with for the education discount. As long as you have a .edu email, you should be able to get the discount at most discount sites.

7. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

If you are a student with a ".edu" email address you can purchase Windows 7 Pro for $29.99 from Microsoft here.

Note that it is the upgrade version and you'll have to install twice to get the upgrade features if you don't own XP or Vista.

8. Azadre macrumors 6502

Install without a cd key entered. Then upgrade on that serial-less installation with your Ultimate Steal cd key.

9. Chiuy thread starter macrumors 6502

So it is possible to get window 7 on booycamp with just the $30 upgraded version? Install it once then put cd serial or what? Still a bit unclear.

10. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

When you install Win7 the first time it will ask you to enter the serial key. Do not enter it and just hit next and it will continue installing. After you boot up into Windows 7, don't listen to the prompts to activate the OS. Run the installer again and choose the upgrade option, on this go around, you can enter the serial key.

11. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Instead of installing twice, you can fool Windows into thinking it's an upgrade version with one RegEdit change, and one administrator Command prompt entry. That's what I did, after I bought the $50 W7 Professional student deal, and it wouldn't let me register. I followed the instructions linked below, and it works great. Easier than installing twice.

Instructions here.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5587188_register-windows-upgrade.html

12. snaky69 macrumors 603

Ask your college/univeristy, most have a deal with microsoft. I can get any version of windows for free at my university, one key of each.

13. Chiuy thread starter macrumors 6502

Hahaha, thanks guys. Looks like I'm learning something new everything and you guys are helping me save $$$.
    I'll come back for help later on once I get my Macbook. I'm slowly running out of patience. I hope it starts this week and get the Lion.

14. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I checked newegg.com and they sell it for $189.
    Its the same price with amazon...

Too bad 2010~2011 MBP's dont support XPs or Vistas