Buying Windows For Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AzRocks, Oct 14, 2007.

1. AzRocks macrumors newbie

I want to purchase a copy of either Windows XP or Vista to use on my iMac. I really couldnt care less about anything except for the price. Will upgrade versions work? What is the difference between OEM and Full versions? Is there any really cheap place to get it or should I just try eBay?
    Thanks!

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Newegg has great prices on OEM XP which is fine :)

3. AzRocks thread starter macrumors newbie

4. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

The OEM version is same as the normal version but its a lot cheaper, it is for people who build there own computers. You can get that version if you buy some (or a) hardware.

Yes, its a sticker if i can remember correctly.

5. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Aren't you only allowed to install an OEM copy on one computer, or just one time? Something like that.

I remember reading that somewhere else. If you're going to install it somewhere else, can you just call the 1-800 # and get a new key, like you can with the retail version? I bought my copy in 2001 and have installed in many many times on many different computers (they're all legal, just upgrades and changing systems and stuff) and I have never had a problem with getting a new key.

6. AzRocks thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a CD for a windows xp reinstall that i got with a dell pc a couple years ago. Can I use this?

7. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Probably not. It has to be the full version of Windows. Not an upgrade version and not a restore disk from a retail PC. And note, if you are going to be using WinXP it needs to be SP2 or higher.

8. AzRocks thread starter macrumors newbie

so there is no way an upgrade version could work?

9. emoore macrumors regular

No you are not upgrading. Therefore the upgrade version won't work, you need the full or OEM version

10. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

go the nearest university in your area and convince a student to hook you up

11. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

OK, just so I'm 100% clear...

The OEM version comes with a full version of whatever version of Windows it is, plus a valid licence key that I can use on my Mac, right?

Cheers
    SL

12. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

I bought an OEM copy of Windows XP Pro for my MacBook Pro and it works fine. It comes with a sticker which you are supposed to put on your computer (stuff that!) that has a license key on it. For some reason, my copy doesn't need activating, maybe as an OEM copy it is pre-activated or something. Either way, it installed fine under bootcamp and also boots in parallels. I use it quite a lot for work where I have to test software that runs on Windows as well as OS X. I also have a Vista machine but I am glad I bought XP for my Mac because the hardware requirements of Vista are too great to sensibly allow me to work under Parallels with it since I can run XP with only 512MB of RAM allocated to it whereas Vista on a real machine with 512MB takes 10 mins to boot. Fortunately that machine runs CentOS 5 most of the time and that is fine on limited hardware.

13. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Thank you. V helpful.

SL