Buying Windwos From Craigslist Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sir42, Jul 20, 2007.

1. sir42 macrumors 6502

So I'd like to pick up a copy of Windows XP and there are some folks on Craigslist selling it for cheap. Is there any deceptive language I should look out for when responding to these ads? Below are a couple of sample ads from craigslist. I worry when they say "original" or "bootable" or "sp3" (I thought they only had a sp2).

Also, is there anything I should confirm about the cd/dvd to make sure it will work properly on boot camp or parallels?

Thanks!

sample ads:

(1)
    ••••••••••••• Windows XP disk ORIGINAL•••••••••• - $65
    This is an original CD professional XP sp2 that I have never used.

(2)
    ••••••Original Windows XP CD for sale •••••• - $60
    I’m selling a Windows XP Professional CD . (this is NOT a copy )
    The CD is authentic . You can get Updates and pass the validation with no problem..
    I’m asking $60 dollars for it.

(3)
    Windows Pro XP SP3 $30
    Windows XP SP3 Microsoft Office Integrated $30

(4)
    WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL FULL INSTALLATION CD - $15
    I have a bootable full working copy of Windows XP professional. It's activated and updates.Cash and pick-up preferred but Paypal accepted too.

2. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

This is a tough one... I'd definitely walk away from ad number 3 and 4. The other two are more believable, but you do need to ask if it is an OEM, upgrade, or retail copy... Also, ask if has been activated previously as it will make it difficult to activate it yourself. Third, I'd ask specifically if it's a 'volume license' or 'corporate license' as these will tend to be either pirated or very rare on CL and ebay (if authentic.)

Last but not least, make sure you have definitive contact with the seller before paying for something that may not be as advertised.

Edit: Anther thing is to ask if it comes with Microsoft's certificate of authenticity (the hologram with the serial number). Although they've been faked, this is a pretty good clue it's legit. If something just doesn't look or feel right, then pass it up.

3. sir42 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. sir42 thread starter macrumors 6502

Are there any retailers that sell the OEM version or is newegg the only game in town?