Buying with no commitment?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by msw123307, Jul 23, 2010.

  1. msw123307 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2007
    #1
    With the delay of the white iPhone (ridiculous). I'm going to go ahead and buy a black. My question is - if I purchase a black and use it until the white one comes out, am I able to then buy the white phone outright (no commitment - for $599)? Or am I not allowed because I just signed a black under contract?

    If this is possible you'd basically come out even by selling the black on eBay, and that works for me. My 3G is about to kick the can.
     
  2. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

    boy-better-know

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2010
    Location:
    England
    #2
    thats fine, if thats what you want to do then that is your choice. im thinking about doind this aswell, but i am happy with the black one right now so im starting to not want the white anymore.
     
  3. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2007
    #3
    That may happen to me too, but I doubt it. I really want the white. Actually looking at eBay, black's are going for > $599. I guess ATT won't let you walk in and buy one outright unless you have an account with them? And it really looks like you'll even out by doing this.

    Also, I don't want to get screwed out of future eligibility dates for the iPhone 5,6 whatever because I waited a few months to buy white. Now that we know that people interested in the white phone don't really matter to Apple, I don't expect them to take major steps to move up that group's eligibility.
     
  4. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

    jfyrfytr25

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2008
    #4
    Thats a crappy take on this. Do you think that apple has a warehouse full of these and is just not distributing them?
    They have no reason for that. It is in their best interest to get them to market to start building their earnings for this quarter. I whole heartedly believe there is an issue getting the color right and for it to withstand over time. This is just speculation, but I think they may be having an issue with the plastic bezel that runs around the edge of the glass. I think that over time with it touching your hands and getting dirt on it I am thinking it turns yellow or worse.

    Whatever it is, would you rather them push it out anyway and then your long awaited phone have an issue like that down the line? I wouldn't!
     
  5. maturola macrumors 68040

    maturola

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2007
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    #5
    You should be able to do it with no problem. I lost my phone once (a 3GS), went to the store, got a new one for full price..no question ask, no isues...just added the IMEI number of the new phone to my account and go.

    The contract is just to keep you as customer for at least 24 MOnths...the phone or plan you have are not locked, you can change your plan and phone monthly for what AT&T cares..
     
  6. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2007
    #6
    Did I say that I think they are holding them back on purpose? No, I don't believe that's the case. In addition, I didn't say anything about them 'pushing' the phone out riddled with problems.

    When the preorders were first announced, Apple said that white wasn't available and basically something to the effect of "no big deal, tough to manufacture, but the majority of people want black anyway." Then Jobs comes on last week and says that we're on track. Now all of a sudden it appears to be months before they are going to come out? Doesn't seem right to me. What difference did 7 days make? Do you think the issue just happened all of a sudden? The bottom line is, I don't expect them to bump up everyone's eligibility date that waited for the white.
     
  7. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

    jfyrfytr25

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2008
    #7
    you obviously have never worked in manufacturing. ALOT can happen in seven days. machines can break and parts have a long lead time, suppliers of the materials could have an issue and not be able to get them something they use for the pigment. there are alot of things that could happen. they could have been completely truthful in thinking it would be out next week and all of a sudden Murphy and his law jumps in.

    I never accused you of saying they were holding them back. but your statment of them obviously not caring leads me to believe you think they are doing this on purpose. I was asking if that is what you thought.

    Im sorry, but I worked in manufacturing for years and know the issues that can arrise in a short time and the customer never likes it, but it is what it is.

    Apple has a history of having discoloration issues when MFG white products.
    in the past they were but into the distribution channel and the customers paid the price. I would rather they take their time and do it right. and if it is never right, thats fine. I would rather not have it than have a defective one.
     
  8. Block macrumors 6502a

    Block

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2007
    #8
    You can buy it without any commitments with no problems as long as you pay the full price.
     
  9. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2007
    #9

    I do think that the delay is related to a paint problem. I just find the whole situation very odd, and on many levels, deceiving. First, people stayed up to order the white, and it wasn't available to preorder (try letting us know just 6 hours beforehand..show a little courtesy). Then, there was the press release (the day of release) saying white wouldn't be available in retail locations. And it has just gone on and on from there. I believe the issues are true and real, but I just wish Apple would be a little more upfront with their customers, because I don't think they are being as upfront as they should be.
     

Share This Page