buying without account holder

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by goobot, Jun 15, 2010.

1. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

so i reserved for in store pick up and i would like to know is there a way to make it so someone other than the account holder can buy it? i have the account ss by the way.

2. Blizzardman macrumors regular

Blizzardman

I was actually wondering the same exact thing. Back when the 3G launched I was able to buy it and am not the primary account holder but I believe the primary account holder had to call AT&T and authorize me to buy the phone and extend the contract. Might want to call them and double check.

3. goobot thread starter macrumors 603

goobot

do you think it would matter if i get it at apple?

4. Mosco macrumors regular

Do a search, this question has been asked many times today.

5. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

Infatically no. I went thru this last year. I am not the account holder yet I am authorized on the account to make changes. went to apple, stood in line for 4-5 hours., get in they go get the iphone, then they ask for my id and then it all collapsed. they said only the account holder can do the transaction at apple.
    however, they sent me to an ATT corporate store and I was able to do it by myslef. sorry....

6. hardhead89 macrumors member

This has got me worried. My dad is the primary account holder but I am an authorized user on the account. I reserved mine at the Apple store near me and I am away at college so theres no way my dad could pick it up...

7. scottpuplava macrumors newbie

you should be good as long as you are authorized

8. pawo macrumors member

I had the same problem.. I have a line on a business plan, and the owner cant make it to the store.

So I called customer service. They just asked for his phone number, called him right away, and asked him if its ok to authorize me (which took 30 seconds).

Simple as that.

9. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

I know its not what you want to hear but you are SOL. Apple says they have no way of verifying "authorized users" through their system, makes sense all they have is a cookie cutter form to fill in for activation. the att corporate store have access to the full account and can see your user status and that is why you can do it there.

I know your pain, when I had my incident, the person who is the holder on mine was out of town, this was when you could not hardly find the phones in stock. I called the store one day they said they had them in. I go there and wait, no dice. you could still go try, but I am sure you will leave dissapointed.
    sorry

10. hardhead89 macrumors member

Did you do this before you went to the store or while you were there?

11. pawo macrumors member

before but it only took like 4-5 minutes to complete.

12. absolut` macrumors member

Well this has become a concern for me too then.

I'm a college student, gonna wake up really early and get to the Apple store around 5-6AM. My dad is obviously not gonna wake up that early just to go wait for a phone.

But, I am a authorized user on the at&t account. It is to my understanding that they pull up your account information at the Apple store - they could also call at&t? If they see that I am a authorized user, on the account, I don't see why they couldn't give me the phone?

Please advise.

13. hardhead89 macrumors member

I found an interesting post in the Apple forums. Someone said he called his store and because he made the reservation with his iTunes account, it had his name as the one on the reserved list that would be picking it up even though he was not the primary user. I plan on calling my pick-up store tomorrow to verify.

14. Jizzles macrumors regular

Last year I was in first come, first serve line for about a hour at Apple. An Apple rep came by and was telling everyone that only the primary account holder can purchase the iPhone and authorized users were not able to.

Called the Apple store where I made my two reservations and the rep said authorized users should be able to purchase.

So I'll be calling AT&T and have them add a note on the account about letting me purchase the iPhone on release day. I'm also going to try to get the $18 fee waived. Bad enough I'm buying four iPhones with CA tax plus $52 in fees...

15. cu2010 macrumors 6502

What if I'm using my father's phone? The account was created using his name and his social security number, etc.
    I've just become an authorized user, but AT&T states that "Retail Authorized Users and Apple Stores - If visiting an Apple store, the primary account holder must be present."