Buying without the Protection plan?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bleuhhhh, Apr 27, 2008.

1. bleuhhhh macrumors newbie

I'm planning to buy a MB when they will update... I'm wondering if i'm in danger if i do not buy the Protection plan... Do i really need it??

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Buy just the computer, and after 11.5 months, rethink it.

At that point, its a matter of how long your keeping the computer, and if you're selling, does it make sense from a profit sense, to buy it(to up the resale value)

3. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

yes its pricey. but when you need it and your 'fix' cost 500 bucks. the care seems cheap and you will be very thankful. Plus i think the phone support with out apple care sucks! way to expensive.

4. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Yes, you can purchase it any time during the initial 1 year warranty period, so you could wait if you want. Of course, you would lose the 9 months of technical support you would have had during that period if you had bought it at the start.

I'm not usually big on extended warranty plans, as they are, for most companies, a way to increase profit. As a result, on average, consumers will lose money on them. On the other hand, portables are much more prone to failure than desktops, and a number of MacBooks have had issues such as faulty HDDs.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Most extended warranty plans are a bit of a gee up but the phone support and onsite servicing you get with AppleCare makes it worth it in my opinion.

AppleCare in Australia is over priced for the laptops but when you consider that APP on a MacBook Pro, even at the RRP of $579 is a third of the cost of a logic board repair it makes sense.

We Aussies aren't fond of warranty programmes at all but we sell a big percentage of our Macs here with AppleCare - it's the phone support that seems to be the kicker for it. Onsite for desktops is a big deal, especially for the elderly around here that can't physically drag their iMacs into the store.

I reckon it's a good deal, I'll be getting it for my MacBook as soon as the money comes through.

6. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

With the recent track record Apple has, as far as hardware goes, plan on getting it.. Like others have said, extended warranties are, for the most part, major money makers for the company.. I absolutely NEVER,EVER purchase them- except with Macs!!!!! I always make sure I get it before the one year is up (if I'm keeping the Mac of course), and lately I always end up glad I did..

I'm not bashing Apple, but I've replaced too many logicboards, on too many different computers to even consider not getting Applecare.. Hardware issues suck, but with Applecare combined with Apples great customer service they really haven't been too bad for me.. My last logicboard on my MacBook was literally completed in less than 24 hours- I wish it never happened, but dropping it off in the evening and picking it up the next afternoon kind of takes the sting away a little..

I say take up to a year to decide if you're planning on keeping it longer than that, and if the answer is yes then definitely get it..