"Buzz" sound before i4 antenna-related drop?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jtara, Jun 26, 2010.

1. jtara macrumors 65816

I thought I didn't have the iPhone antenna problem. But now I've had several dropped calls where the person at the other end of the call reported a buzzing sound before the drop. I could not hear the buzzing sound myself.

Both people reproduced the sound for me. (Seriously!) For those that remember, it sounded like the sound in the Star Trek (Classic) episode "Wink of an Eye" where Spock is in a different time plane and is "sped up", and so all the people on the bridge is a buzzing sound. No, really.

Wink of an Eye on Wikipedia

It's happened enough times now that I have noted a correlation between this happening and holding the phone the "wrong way". Actually, I was shifting position in every case. So, maybe this happens only at the point of contact or loss of contact. For example, one time I cradled the phone between my ear and shoulder and it dropped like that. I called back, and the person reported the buzzing sound. I'm sure my hand brushed by the left-hand gap when I did that.

Anyone else getting reports of a buzzing sound before a disconnect?

2. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I have had random sounds that are similar to like a spinning coin about to flatten. Is that the noise you have had?

4. jb007clone macrumors 6502

jb007clone

Here's someone who put their iPhone 4 next to a speaker and you can hear the transmission buzz cutting in and out as the signal drops. maybe this is what your callers heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzn8QhrYIvI

5. jtara thread starter macrumors 65816

I'll have to ask the people I was was talking to. (I will). The sound can only be heard at the other end of the line.

6. jtara thread starter macrumors 65816

That is unlikely, as that sound can be heard occasionally on speakers near any GSM phone. (Dunno why this happens with GSM but not with CDMA.)

The sound they heard was described as a "scratchy static" type sound. Now, that's a very odd sound to be hearing with a digital modulation scheme. With various cell phones (singe they went all-digital, hah!) I've heard various sounds, from echos to warbly garble, but never one that sounded like "static".

Oh, both callers reproduced the sound themselves, like they do on Car Talk. Maybe I should record that, LOL!