buzzing/hissing sound from left side of keyboard.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by phantom3334, Aug 2, 2009.

1. phantom3334 macrumors newbie

it's less than a week since I bought my macbook white. now I'm hearing the famous buzz/hissing sound coming from left side of keyboard.
    this macbook is making me depressed. really. it's been relatively expensive for me and I expected something near perfect.

just one question : what is exactly the reason of this buzzing sound ? I really want to understand ?

2. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

Well, the processor is located at the top left. So the sounds are no doubt coming from the processor.

3. phantom3334 thread starter macrumors newbie

and it indicates a problem in the processor ?

4. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

No. It's probably just doing running intensively.
    Do you control your fans? And how hot does it get?

5. phantom3334 thread starter macrumors newbie

considering it's the first week, I don't know, doesn't get more than 60-70. and it gets really hot if I move it to unstable surfaces.

I thought today that this sound started after macbook begun to experience real heat. I don't know how I missed this sound first time I brought it if it this annoying.

and NO. I don't control my fans.

what bothers me that I read on the web about people having same problems and others saying that their machines are very quiet, no sound at all.

this horrible sound reminds me of the pc's I escaped from :/

6. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

I've never gotten these sounds either. Do you mean °C btw? Because I don't know Fahrenheit. You shouldn't really let your MacBook get above 65°C. I recommend using SMC Fan ControlDownload, depending on what you do, and maybe getting a temperature monitoring Application so you can keep a closer eye on the heatsinks and other temperatures. I find this to be useful iStat Nano

7. phantom3334 thread starter macrumors newbie

I use temperature monitor and I didn't see it get to 70C actually. I assumed it wont get further than that depending on normal temperature range.

do you mean that you don't hear any sound at all if you get your ear near the (W) key/button in keyboard ?

my macbook worries me. I just want to know if the sound I hear is normal. or the normal is no sound at all.

8. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

Of course I hear some noise, but it's not easy to hear unless I put my head close to it. And my MacBook has gotten to 84°C before, Macs have always run hot, but that's a personal record :p. I would try not to worry about it if I were you.

9. phantom3334 thread starter macrumors newbie

does the sound like an insect buzz or a neon lamp ?

you know what, I just expected much. like: the ultimate relief from other operating systems and PC's . a clean and reliable one.
    every now and then something shows up and gives me the creeps. :/
    I thought like : now I have to go to store and demand for a new machine :/

10. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

I wouldn't describe it as a constant buzz. It's more like.. the sound a processor makes. :p
    Just make sure you keep an eye on the temperature if you're doing something CPU intensive.

11. phantom3334 thread starter macrumors newbie

didn't do any intense work since I bought it. and I still get some quirks here and there. (trash not emptying when using empty button, etc)

may be I'm just over-illusional.
    . the temperature is OK. only the sound is upsetting me. it's constant and plays all the time. like there's a bug being tortured inside or something.\
    and, thanks really for your patience and help. somehow I'm less worried.

12. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

Do you get any message? Something like 'X is in use' and you have the choice of 'Stop' or 'Continue'?

13. phantom3334 thread starter macrumors newbie

THAT'S the problem : I don't get any messages.
    and now, like I mentioned somewhere else. the trash wont empty anything (files, images, apps) unless I use terminal. it's bugging me.

14. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

One of my fans on my macbook stopped working, its three years old so its not really a problem but if I were you i'd stop fiddeling with it, take it to the shop, and ask for a perfect one.

Mistake number 1 of owning a mac is not taking back your dud before its to late.

15. phantom3334 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a question, what's a normal processor sound ?
    is it normal if I just hear this when my ear is near to (W) key. or the normal no sound at all even if I'm there.
    i already sent the piece and they will check it

but I still can't understand what is normal exactly. because a quiet macbook with no idle processor sound at all seems like : ultimate perfection or heaven on earth