buzzing monitors

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by shaunymac, Jul 25, 2008.

1. shaunymac macrumors 6502

Ok, i searched but came up with nothing..so I have two krk 6's running to a m-audio mobilepre usb interface with monter cable 1/4" to xlr and then it all goes to my mbp.

I recorded 2 weeks ago without any problems, but as soon as I hooked them up last night in my room EAEAEAEEAEAEAEEAEA!!!. It went away as soon as I unplugged the monitor cables from the preamp. Is the preamp bad? It is kinda cheap:(. I dont know why I just thought about this but could the tv in the room be causing the problem? It is an lcd. I was recording in the living room last time when they were trouble free.

I cant think of anything else to try. I know the condenser gives them fits whenever it gets cut on, but it was packed up in the closet.

If anyone has some suggestions for me to try, I greatly appreaciate it. The buzzing is getting kinda old and unproductive. Peace

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Few things it could be:

1) Mains noise produced by something else on the same circuit in your fusebox. Rarely causes 'buzzing', but I've had it happen to me before with a bad transformer.

2) Interference from something nearby, such as a transformer, CRT or Plasma.

3) A ground loop. Read plz =]. Not the easiest thing to solve, but not something you'll never escape from.

Either one of these or your speakers have a bee in their bonnet.

3. shaunymac thread starter macrumors 6502

alright, i had a chance to play with it, only for a sec, as we have ten people staying in a 2 bedroom apt. but it was the outlet they were plugged into. I plugged one of theh monitors into an outlet across teh room, on a different series, and the buzzing went away. However, I ran the surge protector across the room and the buzzing came back. Ahh! I quit messing with it. I have to go to sleep! I have to go shoot a wedding in the morning with a friend but this is definately on my mind.

Killyp, ill be reading the link you gave me as soon as i get a chance. Thanks

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Sounds like interference from something in your room then, a transformer or similar.

Hope nobody gets hurt.