Buzzing Power Adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by c073186, Jul 7, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I just noticed that the power adapter for my PowerBook makes a buzzing noise when plugged in. The noise is coming from the power adapter itself, and not the computer. And it makes the noise regardless of whether or not the computer is attached - so long as the power adapter is in the wall outlet, it buzzes. Is this a bad thing and what can I do about it?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's the hamster inside, running on that wheel. Tell him to pipe down! :D

3. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay. But, what I am really asking is: does this 'hamster' pose either a fire hazard or a harm to my PowerBook? Or do I ignore the hamster?

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

The power brick shoudn't be buzzing, not even when sleeping. If your PB/MBP is in warranty (ie, inside the first 12 months/or under APP) I'd return the brick to a AppleStore, they should replace it for you, free of charge! However, if it's outside the first 12 months, it's at Apple's discrepancy.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

The OP's brick is for a PowerBook, not the MBP. The Power Brick from my old PowerBook doesn't Buzz!

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, I'm aware of that. There is still value in searching the other thread, though, as the OP in that thread states, "I just called apple support again and the guy said, they recently got some issues about the adapter. I might unfortunately got the wrong adapter. So he suggests me to go to apple store again and try to recreate the same condition and let them to try out different adapters."

A visit to the Genius Bar is a good idea, regardless of the model.