Buzzing sound from GPU, audio pop, keyboard/trackpad freezing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ProMod, Jan 7, 2008.

1. ProMod macrumors 6502a

I am having all the problems listed above in the title:

whenever a process requires the GPU for rendering, a buzz is emitted from my MBP for the exact duration of that process. For example: using the iTunes screen saver, every time an album cover flips into a new one, a buzz or ticking is heard for the exact duration of the flipping animation. Or the time it takes for the dock to unhide, etc.

The audio pop. I first noticed it under 10.4.11 and it continued through 10.5.1. I went back to 10.4.10 and it was still there. I gave in and went back to Leopard, and it has been there ever since.

Just in the past couple days I have noticed my trackpad and keyboard becoming completely unresponsive when using the laptop on battery power. Closing the lid, letting it go to sleep, then opening it back up restores function.

What is going on with my MBP? I've had it since August, no problems. Do I have a bad logic board?

MacBook Pro 17" C2D 2.4 Ghz Mac OS X (10.5.1) 4 GB RAM, 7200 RPM HD

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

My powermac g5 had similar problems except the whole screen would freeze and I would need to reboot. Turns out the GPU was overheating because the fan was not working and as soon as any real 3d rendering was required it froze.

Its harder to diagnose in a laptop but it could be a possibility your GPU is overheating.

3. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

The audio pop and the unresponsive keyboard/trackpad is unfortunately normal behavior for MBPs with Leopard. The keyboard/trackpad issue should have been taken care of through a software update though. Do you have the latest updates installed?

The audio popping is still unresolved and can be quite annoying :(

4. ProMod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, all updates are installed. I've done a lot of research and realize the audio pop and trackpad problems are fairly common, and I have lived with them for some time. But when I started hearing this GPU buzzing, it raised my level of concern.