Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sketchygio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2009
Hello,

Over the past few months or so, I've been noticing a sound, much like a buzzing, coming from the left speaker area of my computer. It seems to be near the area where I plug in the charger. The sound is not terribly loud, but when it's quiet in my surroundings, it becomes quite evident.

I'm not talking about an audio-related issue, but I am just unsure as to what may be causing the sounds and whether or not I should be worried.

Can anyone share any advice?

Thanks!

Relznuk

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2009
UT, USA
Hello,

Over the past few months or so, I've been noticing a sound, much like a buzzing, coming from the left speaker area of my computer. It seems to be near the area where I plug in the charger. The sound is not terribly loud, but when it's quiet in my surroundings, it becomes quite evident.

I'm not talking about an audio-related issue, but I am just unsure as to what may be causing the sounds and whether or not I should be worried.

Can anyone share any advice?

Thanks!

If you're concerned, have it checked out. Can't hurt.

ougrad1764

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
what computer are you using?

I had an issue with my 2008 MacBook Pro (unibody), which turned out to be a defective fan located in the upper left. I'd posted a response to a thread awhile back, but there were some early issues with the fan blades being unbalanced or something, I can't remember exactly. The noise would be barely perceptible just after startup (while the computer was still cool), but would get louder as things heated up and the fans spun faster. I used smcFanControl to manually force the fans to spin faster, which reproduced the noise. Try a search around the forums for others who have done similarly.

After contacting AppleCare, they issued me a full replacement. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.