Buzzing Sound Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Douge, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Douge macrumors newbie

I have this buzzing sound and its starting to get freakin annoying. I doesn't go away at all now and it has nothing to do with brightness of the display. I have heard that applecare will do nothing. True? Just wanted to hear about some people's experiences before I call. Thanks.

2. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

ya, about half of the macbook pro owners have been having this problem, let us know what they say but if I had to guess it would be somewhere along the lines of "live with it" :(

3. pmartin macrumors regular

I would recommend you call Apple and complain, tell them you aren't happy and you would like it fixed. If they don't do anything call back and escalate it. If you make enough noise they'll replace it.

4. pinwanger macrumors member

Half?! that's scary...

5. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

Ya, but if this is occurring on over half the MBPs then it is unlikely that they are going to replace it.

6. ultimateceej macrumors regular

ultimateceej

I'm sure that's an arbitrary percentage. If it were half, I would think that there would be some sort of software/firmware update.

7. dubs macrumors member

my mbp doesn't have this problem, try raising a fuss with apple care

8. pmartin macrumors regular

Mine doesn't either, it did have the LCD backlight buzz at one time though.

9. aliquis- macrumors 6502a

Even more than half in the poll. I'd guess EVERYONE has it but not everyone uses low impedance headphones and notices it.

I guess it Apple aren't willing to fix it one solution is to buy a firewire/expresscard soundcard.

10. aliquis- macrumors 6502a

Not if it's really the output impedance which is wrong.

11. polycat33 macrumors 6502

If the buzzing sound the OP is referring to is the sound heard in headphones plugged into the audio jack, I'd say more than half have it... from what I've read it's an incredibly widespread issue. If people don't have it, it's probably because their headphones are high impedance and they just don't hear it because of that. I believe it's been found to be a hardware issue and getting a replacement won't help because the replacement will have the same problem. Someone found a $15 solution:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Shure-Level...oryZ3274QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

12. triddent222 macrumors regular

I just plugged in my cheap RadioShack headphones and heard no buzz whatsoever (SR MBP 2.2ghz). My hearing is not perfect though...

so, i guess I dont have the buzz, or is just too faint for me to notice.

13. Douge thread starter macrumors newbie

Some things stop the noise

The weirdest thing happened. I opened photobooth and the noise stopped immediately! Then I turned it off and the sound came right back. I tried the same action numerous times and it always does the same thing. Curiously, the same thing happens in iTunes if a song is playing and you turn off the speakers, no whine! But if the song is paused the sound comes right back. Explanation? At least now I can just run photobooth i the background and stop the whine. Works as a temporary solution for me!

14. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

That to me sounds like an idle processor. Although a lot of MBPs have buzzing speakers and such, it's no big deal. An idle processor is nothing to worry about, but if you want, you can install some xcode tools from your install/restore DVDs and use them to disable a processor core, which should stop the noise.

15. PGTips macrumors newbie

I had the buzzing sound with my Macbook that went away when the 2nd processor was disabled. This is so very weird.

Is there a way to remove set my Mac so that the 2nd processor comes on when it detects that the load is too much? I'd hate to have to keep switching on the 2nd processor when I do compute intensive stuff like run my simulations, image editing, games, etc.

16. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

I have this problem too—1.83GHz Macbook (not a MBP). There's a kind of high-pitched whine/buzz coming from the top-right of the machine. I can't be 100% sure but I think it's only just started to happen, after around six months of use.

Disabling the second processor makes it go away (using the CHUD tools), although then I have the issue of the fan spinning up on trivial tasks.

I noticed it goes away when dragging certain windows around, so it's clearly something to do with the chip being largely idle. Running PhotoBooth in the background also seems to occupy the chip enough to keep it busy.

Combined with the intermittent high-pitched tinnitus-like whistle of the hard disk, I'm finding using my Macbook an uphill struggle :(

17. matttrick macrumors 6502

my sister had buzzing from her MBP, and they had to replace the inverter on it. was totally covered

18. hob macrumors 68020

hob

I'm editing on Final Cut Pro right now using my BlackBook and a pair of Shure E3c's... or something like that...

Anyway, the noise is unbearable. Every time I scrub through the video there's the most incessant whining... and it's not coming from me!

Add to that the fact that the screen flickers every so often (very subtly...) pah! What can I do? Apple won't take back a 5 month old laptop, will they? I'll just have to get it fixed forever :(

19. coolbynature macrumors newbie

Buzzing noice fix for Mac Book Pro

I was facing the same issue with my mac book pro. But I kinda fixed it !

Shutdown your system and then press SHIFT + OPTION + COMMAND + POWER BUTTON all at the same time and hold it for about 5 secs.. and then turn on your system.

I was told that by doing this, it resets the Settings

20. loskop macrumors newbie

2009 MacBook Pro

My MacBook buzzes and the surface of the unit feels faintly electrified when the magnetic DC power adaptor cord is connected. Damn irritating, especially because one has no recourse. Now while the battery is charging my Mac is for reading text and viewing images only, no media or music. Great going, Apple.