Buzzing sound unless touching metal surface.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by caspersoong, Dec 16, 2011.

1. caspersoong macrumors 6502a

When I connect my MacBook Pro 13 inch 2.4 GHz i5 with an audio cable from the headphone jack to my old Sony speakers (I don't know what model... at least 5 or 7 years old and therefore quite obsolete), there is a buzzing sound coming from the speakers underneath whatever music I am playing and persists even with no music playing. I do not know anything about audio in electronics, and so I do not know the problem. Whenever I touch a metal surface, the buzzing goes away and returns when I remove my hand from it. The same goes for my iPod touch if I touch a metal surface on my iPod when connected with the cable to the speakers. This never happened for my old Acer laptop (ironically) and I wonder what the problem is, or at least some way of removing the buzz without having to keep my hand to the MacBook Pro every minute of music playing. Thanks!!!

2. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

Does this only happen when your MBP is plugged in to power? If so, are you using the three prong plug or the two prong plug?

There is probably a grounding problem somewhere.

3. caspersoong, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011

caspersoong thread starter macrumors 6502a

It happens on battery as well... I am in Malaysia and so am using a three-pronged plug. Thanks for the quick reply. And how do I solve this problem? (And why did it not happen to my old Acer laptop?)

4. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Are you using cable from plug to the power adapter, or the adapter that plugs straight in, only the cable is grounded, and what you're describing sounds like a ground loop difference between two audio devices.

5. ShoG macrumors member

This is a problem with the jack, I had the same problem with a pair of headphones and a jack on my mbp. I was not getting a flush entry with the headphones into the jack. try to jiggle the cable while you plug it into the jack, or try and see if theres any debris inside.

i would get a low full sounding hum unless I (my person) physically touched some metal object or the mbp. It is most likely the cable not the equipement from my experience.