buzzing transformer in Europe

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by willauqs, Jul 28, 2008.

1. willauqs macrumors newbie

hi guys. I know there is a lot of talk about buzzing but I'm still unsure about my issue. I have a month old 2.6 15" MacBook pro. I recently arrived in Switzerland and had to deal with finding an adapter that I can plug my 3 prong extension cord so that's not an issue. But when I plug my chord in the transformer makes a whining buzz even if its not connected to the mac. When I unplug the buzzing continues for a bit and then the pitch rises and it ends with some sort of dadadada. Does anyone know what this is? I'm hoping its just the transformer doing its job because the voltage is higher here but I done know for sure and I don't want to hurt anything. Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks.

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

The voltage is not the problem - it will work from 110 to 240V - sounds like you have a faulty or at least noisy power adaptor. There are no Apple Stores in Switzerland but plenty of service agents.

I would get it changed - your warranty is international so there should be no problem...

3. willauqs thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm thanks I'll check that out. Unfortunately the power adapter is not by apple so I can't get apples help in that regard but I'll try to contact a service agent definitely.

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Are you using a simple plug adaptor or a step-down transformer - you don't need a transformer. Perhaps the plug adaptor is not up to the usual Swiss quality standards ant the US plug is rattling about in the adaptor causing the contacts only make intermittent contact ?

5. willauqs thread starter macrumors newbie

I may be mistaken. I thought that the white box attached to my power cord was called a transformer. It says 100-240v so I knew the voltage wasn't an issue. I'm just useing a tiny little thing that changes the plug shape to fit the euro electrical ports. The little adapter is third party cheap but the white apple box on my cord is doing the buzzing which I don't remember in the states.

6. willauqs thread starter macrumors newbie

um to answer your question its not rattling but completly snug

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Even if you have an Apple power brick, a lot of the recent ones buzz and they says it's normal. I've mine replaced 4 times, so I'm accepting it's normal.

8. willauqs thread starter macrumors newbie

well im finally back on my macbook. ill called an apple agent and he confirmed that the small buzz was fine as long as the voltage wasn't an issue. its super slight. so thank you logana and alphaod for all your support.