By any chance any chemistry student?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xoggyux, Mar 26, 2009.

1. xoggyux macrumors 6502

I am wondering if there is a program to "write"chemistry representation of molecules (like the ring for cyclohexane) just wondering since I asked in a chemistry forum and they have no idea of OS X, so if anyone have an idea it would be helpful.
    Also the program should be either free or very cheap.
    Thanks/

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

a friend of min goes to Suffolk and he uses HyperChem Professional. personally i dont do chemistry but the software looks pretty amazing. i've seen him use it a couple of times pretty cool stuff. i will ask him if there are any other good programs out there.

3. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

I have used HyperChem (Windows only) and another one called ChemBioDraw and its available for Mac OS. I have not used it in a while but its available for Mac.

Where do you go to school? What direction in chemistry are you heading?

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

If all you need is to draw a few rings, you don't need something like HyperChem Pro. Give EasyChem a try to see if that's powerful enough for you.

ChemDraw is a step up, and you can usually find student versions for ~$80.

6. iphonematt Guest

7. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

Sweet! I liked HyperChem and used it when it wasn't available for Mac. Glad it is now - its a awesome program! Thanks for the info!

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

well i missed the part where you said it should be free or cheap so yea go with the cowboy's suggestion. never mind on the hyperchem unless you bittorrent it.

9. xoggyux thread starter macrumors 6502

guys guys, easy up... $800-1500????
    I am student I will not be drawing large proteins or dna molecules for a while :confused:.
    I only need something that will let me draw atoms/bonds/and cyclic molecules thats all (though the ability of adding arrows for mechanisms and notes would be fine) anyway I will exporting as images to use in word documents etc.

10. J DILLA macrumors member

ChemDraw is a really basic program that will do what you need it to. Your college/university may or may not already have a subscription to it and if they do then students can download it for free. You may want to contact your organic chemistry professors and ask them if they know if the university has a subscription with them.

ChemDraw also is offered free to all students at any university at random times during the year... I got my copy a few years ago when they were letting students download it for free.

11. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

Ironically, I am taking high school chemistry and it's a bitch. Do you think that this program would help at all? Which one is the most user friendly?

I never mentioned it, but theoretically, you could torrent the program for free. :D

12. yargk macrumors member

There's got to be some open source freeware stuff that would work on OSX with the proper compiler. I'm a physicist and there's a lot of solid state open source stuff that I'm starting to play with.