By now or wait 2 weeks? 24" Imac 2.8GHz?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jlanuez, Oct 11, 2007.

  1. jlanuez macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2006
    Location:
    USA
    #1
    We need a new desktop (just sold the G4-MacMini AND the G5Quad AND a 20" ACD)

    We are planning on getting the 24" iMac 2.8Ghz (and buy 4gb of RAM elsewhere!).

    The Questions: :confused:
    1. Wait for Leopard or buy the iMac now?
    2. Will I get a free upgrade to Leopard?
    2. Will there be any hardware updates to this machine soon?

    We also have a MacBookPro, so maybe we buy the iMAC now and later buy the "family pack" of the new OS X?

    Should I be concerned that as soon as Leopard comes out, the wait for the 24" 2.8GHz iMac will be a few extra weeks, based upon higher demand (maybe there are 100's or 1000's of people waiting to buy after Leopard is released?) If so, the good news is our stock will go up again! :)
     
  2. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

    Tumeg101

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    Location:
    Orange County, California
    #2
    1) Wait
    2) Only if you wait,
    3) No... it was updated like, 2 months ago
     
  3. Telp macrumors 68040

    Telp

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2007
    #3
    Definatly wait, at this point its only going to be a couple more weeks so it should be too big of a deal. Smart saving almost 1k buying the RAM elsewhere =D, its hard to believe people actually spend all that money on the extra RAM, thats great for apple...There wont be an update so you dont have to worry about that. Congratulations with the soon to be bought buy. :p:):D

    :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:
     
  4. tingly macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2005
    #4
    Apple announced Tiger's release date on Tuesday, April 12. The grace period for a free upgrade started that day. It was released Friday, April 29.

    If they do the same weekdays/lead time for Leopard, it's out November 2, 9 or 16 which wouldn't surprise me with how it's going. If they're shooting for Halloween, maybe they'll announce tomorrow or Monday.
     
  5. twoodcc macrumors P6

    twoodcc

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    Location:
    Right side of wrong
    #5
    if you can wait, then wait. if you need it now, then buy it now.

    i personally don't think they'll upgrade the iMac anytime soon....so i say go ahead and get it if you need it.

    or you could wait for Leopard. hopefully a date will be announced today
     
  6. theanimala macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2007
    #6
    Regarding the grace period, is that only if you buy from Apple.com or their local stores or from any authorized reseller? I am looking at buying from Amazon this week if they announce the new OS, but want to get the free upgrade...
     

Share This Page