By now or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Liquinn, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Liquinn Suspended

Hi, should I buy now or wait? Will Haswell be a significant improvement or not?

2. stevelam macrumors 65816

according to your sig, you already have a 2012 mbp.

3. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

I'm not sure whether I should buy the 15" retina now or wait though; I use Photoshop and stuff.

4. stevelam macrumors 65816

well then, you should wait. because photoshop looks like ass on the rmbp...and you already have a 2012 mbp.

5. mikr84 macrumors newbie

You can live now, or you can wait forever :)

There will always be a new and better model, so if you feel the need now, then buy it!

6. noteple macrumors 65816

The apps like photoshop just are not there for retina yet so you would still
    be waiting even if you had a new machine.

When they do arrive who knows what other issues will surface.

Your 2012 should tide you over until the next release in 2013.

Or

If you want it bad enough just get it :)

7. neilpryde23 macrumors regular

Hey Liquinn, lol I remember you from the 2012 redesign thread but I remember you bought a late 2011 MBP and said you loved it. If that's the case, there is no reason to upgrade and I think it's better if you just wait.

That being said though, if you do decide to upgrade to the rMBP, I will say that I just got my rMBP and I personally love it and other than a screen issue with IR (which Apple is going to replace) I could not be happier.

This thing is blazing fast (boots under 15 seconds for me) and at least for me, the 'lag' issue has not been an issue at all for me. I have seen some lag while scrolling on Facebook and the verge but it doesn't bother me at all because I don't normally scroll that fast anyways. The UI animations have not been lagging for me at all.

As others have said, the screen is incredible. I was just comparing it to my old HP which was 1366x768 and I couldn't believe how awful it looked in comparison. The icons really do look like they are painted onto the screen. The cooling system is much better and while it still can get hot, it is much better than the previous generation MBP's and I have yet to hear the fan once. In terms of weight, I've been carrying around a 6.5 pound laptop for the last 3 years and it never bothered me but carrying this one around in just a sleeve, I do notice it feels a lot lighter.

Also, the speakers are much better than any other laptop that I've used. I had it playing in my room and my friend, who doesn't know about the rMBP, commented on how good my speakers sounded. I've gotten a little over 8 hours of battery life while surfing the internet with youtube videos playing, using excel, and having itunes and mail running in the background with the screen at 1/2 brightness.

Overall, if you decided to upgrade, I don't think you would regret your decision with this current generation rMBP but if you're happy with your current MBP, there's also no harm in waiting for the next generation cause it can only get better.