Bye bye AppleCare!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tobias Funke, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

Just looking on the John Lewis website this morning,

and they have changed their free 2 year warranty on all Apple computers to 3 years! :cool:

iPads still only 2 years! :D

2. toneLA macrumors regular

Where did you find this info? As for warranties here in the States, it's 1-year only.

3. Tobias Funke thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

Sorry it a large UK store. :D

4. toneLA macrumors regular

Reason number 3 to move to the UK - after Downton Abbey (#1) and Sherlock (#2). Ugh, I miss Europe.

5. Pheo macrumors regular

wow, that makes quite a difference!

Just ordered an iPad from them due to the 2yr warranty, will be taking the one I got from the applestore yesterday back under the 14 days (I forgot to check JL).

Given the law in the EU, I really feel apple should just bite the bullet and offer 2 yrs.

6. Rosh macrumors member

I get educational discount so the cost of apple care is about £50. It saves me the hassle of going through john Lewis to fix any problems. Although they are more likely to just replace the machine.

7. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Some stores offer that here too. What they won't tell you that clearly, is that they don't actually repair the devices, they refund them, and that by the third year they might only refund 30% of the original value.

I did not find the terms on John Lewis website, they might be better than the ones I've seen offered here. But I urge you to read the fine print.

8. Tobias Funke thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

I have not read any fine print yet.

But I did buy a MBP from them last year,

and the sales guy told me any repairs it needed are done by Apple.

Not 3rd party's during the whole warranty period.

If they don't replace it.

I know he was a salesman but you don't make stuff like that up or you get sacked. :D

9. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

If they offer repairs or replacements instead of refunds, it sounds like a sweet deal :)

10. Pheo macrumors regular

Good shout to check, very sensible, but John Lewis pretty much have the reputation as being one of the best at customer service in the UK, so I must admit, I'd lean towards this being a full warranty, and no shenanigans!

11. ianj1972 macrumors member

wow....I could see a lot of late 2013 MBP getting returned for full refunds and people re-buying the same model from JL to take advantage of this additional peace of mind, 2 years additional Apple Car is like £280 over here on a 15" rMBP.

12. zOlid macrumors regular

zOlid

We have 3 years in Sweden on all products by law, on just about everything :)
    But you have to be able to prove that it had nothing to do with user error.
    And that its some kind of factory fault. But that is basically the same as apples own rules, since they don't replace stuff when you have dropped it or things like that either.