Bye bye iMac, hello rMBP... questions..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Orlandoech, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I decided to sell my 2011 27" iMac and get a rMBP. I didn't know if I would like it, so I went into the Apple store and got a Base Model rMBP.

Its been 4 days and I am in love. I thought I would miss my gorgeous 27" 1440p screen, but after starring at this retina screen and how amazing it is I surprisingly do not miss my iMac. This thing blows the door off my iMac performance (non-gpu) wise and even the SSD in this is faster than the Corsair Force GT 240GB SSD I had in my iMac.

My question is, which browser does everyone prefer, Chrome or Safari? Also which resolution does everyone prefer? I find 1680x1050 is the best for my eyes in terms of screen real estate and resolution.

My geekbench score was almost 12k. I was amazing considering my iMac score didnt even hit 9k with SSD (http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/563015)

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/941304

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I'm using Chrome, though if Firefox had retina support I'd probably use that instead.

Having come from a 15" MBP, I find that the "best for retina" resolution works for me. I find that with the other resolutions I have to really stare closely at the screen.

3. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I used Safari a lot at first because Chrome didn't support Retina when I first got it. Safari's latest update gives it Chrome's omnibar (my favorite feature), so I ended up sticking with it.

As for resolution, I'm almost always in 1920x1200. It doesn't look nearly as good as the native resolution does, but I like the space.

4. Orlandoech thread starter macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

whats the "omnibar"?

5. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

Will be curious as to your experiences editing photos on the retina display...

I use 2880x1800 for Lightroom, and a mix of 1440x900 for programming / writing and 1920x1200 for reading PDFs -- I use SwitchResX to bind ⌘⌥F1-F3 to switch quickly between these resolutions, most apps handle resizing elegantly.

I'm stuck with a hodgepodge of Safari and Chrome, waiting for my preferred browser Opera to update for retina. I'm sadly really missing my mouse gestures (bettertouchtool only goes so far, and XGestures has long since died...), safari / chrome only have extensions that are underpowered, buggy, non-functional or all the above! I also miss tab groups, still looking for a good extension...

6. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Geekbench is a CPU and RAM benchmark tool so it's unsurprising that the SSD in your iMac didn't alter it.