Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n0de

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Well my generation 1 iPhone died last night. In it's final gasps the touchscreen began failing to the point it was unusable.

It was certainly a prized part of my kit. I carried it everywhere and loved how non iPhone owners marveled at it, but considering it's flaws and my needs it is time to part - for now.

I am an 80% business user 20% music listener. With this failure I either have to accept the faults inherent in the device and replace it with a new one or buy both a new phone and a new iPod. I have opted for the latter.

The poor audio quality on calls has always irked me. The problems with fractures on the new iPhone cases and the more expensive data plan turn me off. My recent reality of relying on a single device who's failure caused me to loose all of my mobile functionality (business + personal) is just too much of a risk.

I ordered my new Nokia E71 last night and a new 16gb Nano. Now when I am away 5 days a week I don't have to worry about my music listening on a plane leaving me with a dead battery or without email upon arrival. Now I can charge my iPod once a week and not worry about running out of juice because of checking emails before my flight takes off. Now I can tether my phone and laptop for 3g data. Now my data plan is less expensive. Now I won't have that cool UI or a device that looks like it should be in a museum.

Hopefully in future iterations of the device Apple and AT&T will deal with these issues and i will be able to return to the fold.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
so you think your new E71 is gonna have better reception? your definitely in for a reality check because it is one of the worse RF phones out there. What do you expect when the antenna is at the bottom and the device is metal?

Sorry, I had it for a month and it sucked big time

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
In my experience, the 3G iPhone solves the phone voice quality and volume issues that were a constant source of irritation with the first generation phone I had. In fact, that is why I moved to the 3G. That and ringer volume.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Well my generation 1 iPhone died last night. In it's final gasps the touchscreen began failing to the point it was unusable.

It was certainly a prized part of my kit. I carried it everywhere and loved how non iPhone owners marveled at it, but considering it's flaws and my needs it is time to part - for now.

I am an 80% business user 20% music listener. With this failure I either have to accept the faults inherent in the device and replace it with a new one or buy both a new phone and a new iPod. I have opted for the latter.

The poor audio quality on calls has always irked me. The problems with fractures on the new iPhone cases and the more expensive data plan turn me off. My recent reality of relying on a single device who's failure caused me to loose all of my mobile functionality (business + personal) is just too much of a risk.

I ordered my new Nokia E71 last night and a new 16gb Nano. Now when I am away 5 days a week I don't have to worry about my music listening on a plane leaving me with a dead battery or without email upon arrival. Now I can charge my iPod once a week and not worry about running out of juice because of checking emails before my flight takes off. Now I can tether my phone and laptop for 3g data. Now my data plan is less expensive. Now I won't have that cool UI or a device that looks like it should be in a museum.

Hopefully in future iterations of the device Apple and AT&T will deal with these issues and i will be able to return to the fold.

Why not an iPod Touch and an E71?

People always think the grass will be greener on the other side. It isn't.

Sometimes it is

Cache

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Good choice, you couldnt have made a better one as a businessman. Have fun with the E71, its a great phone. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.