Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I kept my Microsoft Comfort Keyboard and Intellimouse when I bought my Mac Mini last year. I've been using that style of keyboard for at least 10 years and I like how it feels. I've been using the Magic Trackpad with the Intellimouse. The gestures worked well with the mouse. Today I decided to get an Apple keyboard and eliminate the Microsoft products. First, I have to get used to typing on this keyboard. I noticed I'm slower and make more mistakes. Hope to get used to it in a few days. Doing pretty good with the Trackpad. Just have to get used to some gestures like how to highlight, copy and paste something. I guess I should do a little reading on how to use it to it's full ability.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
The gestures are visualized in the Preference Pane for trackpad.
There are some gems, like three-finger tap to bring up a definition of selected word.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
Maybe it's because I've been using a mouse since I started using a computer but I don't know if I'll be able to give it up and just use the Trackpad. I can do things faster with the mouse. I'm going to try a little longer but I think I'll just use the two together. Still getting used to the smaller "normal" keyboard.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Maybe it's because I've been using a mouse since I started using a computer but I don't know if I'll be able to give it up and just use the Trackpad. I can do things faster with the mouse. I'm going to try a little longer but I think I'll just use the two together. Still getting used to the smaller "normal" keyboard.

I use all three (although only the Trackpad is an Apple device). I like the Trackpad for simple things, but if I am doing major work (coding, giant spreadsheets, image editing) then I need the accuracy that the mouse provides. For lazy internet surfing, or flipping through applications, etc. the trackpad is nice.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I can't get used to the current Apple keyboards. They just don't feel right. And as for mouse versus trackpad, you might find certain things absolutely require a mouse.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
This is the keyboard that I've used for many years -

microsoft-wireless-comfort-keyboard-4000-b5s-800.jpg

to -

apple-wireless-keyboard.jpg

I hope I can get used to the Apple keyboard. I wish they would make one like I was using but designed for the Mac. The silver/white look would be an added benefit.

boomdog

macrumors regular
I dislike the apple keyboard, too squashed. The only one I think I'll be able to bare is the wired one however I'm hoping they bring out another full size wireless one for the mac pro. If not, I'll be going for the one Logitech make for Mac.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Coming from someone who thinks that the Microsoft keyboards aren't the best, I think you made a huge mistake. The Apple keyboard is (IMO, obviously) the worst keyboard on the market, and I wouldn't use it if you paid me.

Now the magic trackpad is nice, but I'd still prefer a nice weighted mouse any day.

remmy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Best combination, wireless keyboard and trackpad, that I have used.

I like the size of the keyboard, does not fill the hole desk, can move it about easily to make way for paper, books, anything that I am working with.

Used to use track pad and mouse, but after upgrading to Mavericks, find that there are more useful gestures the old style mouse I have not touched since.

boomdog

macrumors regular
When is Apple going to offer a wireless keyboard with numeric keys, very frustrating. I would rather go with the cable model.

+1 to that. I can't understand how anyone can prefer the tiny keyboard. They were originally designed as a compromise for keyboard in laptops and are simply that, a compromise. You lose functionality for size.

Best combination, wireless keyboard and trackpad, that I have used.

I like the size of the keyboard, does not fill the hole desk, can move it about easily to make way for paper, books, anything that I am working with.

Used to use track pad and mouse, but after upgrading to Mavericks, find that there are more useful gestures the old style mouse I have not touched since.

Don't you find the arrow keys are to hidden within the keys? Don't you miss page up / down, full size shift keys?

remmy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
+1 to that. I can't understand how anyone can prefer the tiny keyboard. They were originally designed as a compromise for keyboard in laptops and are simply that, a compromise. You lose functionality for size.

Don't you find the arrow keys are to hidden within the keys? Don't you miss page up / down, full size shift keys?

In short no. I have got used to it very quickly. May even be quicker as it is closer to the keys and don't have to look for it. Only thing I would change is position of the fn button.

Find the small size much more convent than some beast of a keyboard which gets in the way. I guess if I used it for excel non stop I would get fed up, but I get fed up using excel anyway.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I'm starting to get used to the Apple keyboard. Don't have to look down at it as much now. I haven't used all of the keys yet. Like with the Microsoft keyboard, I had a hell of a time trying to figure out how to do a Print Screen on the Mac. That is supposed to be easer with this keyboard. Haven't tried it yet.

minimalism

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2013
I'm starting to get used to the Apple keyboard. Don't have to look down at it as much now. I haven't used all of the keys yet. Like with the Microsoft keyboard, I had a hell of a time trying to figure out how to do a Print Screen on the Mac. That is supposed to be easer with this keyboard. Haven't tried it yet.

Mac shortcutS is your friend

bkar89

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Norway
I can't stand the long travel on most of the microsoft keyboards. I much prefer the short travel on the Apple keyboards. I type alot faster on them. Now after using a mac as ad esktop, and not only a laptop. I feel awkward when typing on regular keyboards now. It' all a manner of custom.

Only thing i miss is a numeric pad on the wireless keyboard. I have no clue what is taking Apple so long. I know Belkin has add on bt numeric pad, with the same Apple styling. I might pick up one of those.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
After almost 3 weeks of using the Apple keyboard, I've more than fully adjusted to it and like being able to easily use the shortcuts that are I had try to figure out on the Microsoft keyboard. Not that I don't like that keyboard but I'm happy with my purchase of this one. Works great!

Volkan1984

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2013
iMas70, can't say i am all too impressed by your Mac mini... Only 16 MB of RAM?? More like 16 GB right? ;)

SVT Amateur

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2006
Tyler, Texas
I have the wireless Apple keyboard and had to recently purchase a USB keyboard since I accidentally turned off the bluetooth on my Mac mini - and didn't have a spare USB keyboard around.

I ended up liking the Apple USB keyboard so much - especially with the additional numeric keypad and not having to worry about batteries - that I now use it solely with my rMBP and external monitor setup while the bluetooth keyboard collects dust.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Coming from someone who thinks that the Microsoft keyboards aren't the best, I think you made a huge mistake. The Apple keyboard is (IMO, obviously) the worst keyboard on the market, and I wouldn't use it if you paid me.

Now the magic trackpad is nice, but I'd still prefer a nice weighted mouse any day.

I have the wired version of the apple keyboard and I think its ok. I'm kicking around the idea of using my gift cards I got for Christmas to the wireless keyboard.

I don't think they're too squished.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
iMas70, can't say i am all too impressed by your Mac mini... Only 16 MB of RAM?? More like 16 GB right? ;)

I can't believe I never noticed that in over a year! The computer is pretty damn fast with 16 MB! ;)

Just updated my signature!

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
+1 to that. I can't understand how anyone can prefer the tiny keyboard.

I like the wireless keyboard because the arrow keys are the same as they are on my Mac laptops. Now when I use the wired keyboard I find the arrow keys weird and uncomfortable. I hate the wireless-nes, but I love that the layout matches my laptop so there's no adjustment when switching from laptop to desktop.

I did at first, but I value the consistency more than I value the better layout.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.