Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
ok Guys, yet another thing what might catch your interest in this article. Yep: it is official now on the parse blog. I also got this mail:
We have a difficult announcement to make. Beginning today we're winding down the Parse service, and Parse will be fully retired after a year-long period ending on January 28, 2017. We're proud that we've been able to help so many of you build great mobile apps, but we need to focus our resources elsewhere.

We understand that this won't be an easy transition, and we're working hard to make this process as easy as possible. We are committed to maintaining the backend service during the sunset period, and are providing several tools to help migrate applications to other services.

First, we're releasing a database migration tool that lets you migrate data from your Parse app to any MongoDB database. During this migration, the Parse API will continue to operate as usual based on your new database, so this can happen without downtime. Second, we're releasing the open source Parse Server, which lets you run most of the Parse API from your own Node.js server. Once you have your data in your own database, Parse Server lets you keep your application running without major changes in the client-side code. For more details, check out our migration guide here.

We know that many of you have come to rely on Parse, and we are striving to make this transition as straightforward as possible. We enjoyed working with each of you, and we have deep admiration for the things you've built. Thank you for using Parse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
You beat me to it, I was just about to post a thread.

Bummer, I iust began developing a Mac App using Parse (only a few days in so not much to loose thankfully) and I was really enjoying the service.

What a shame! Damn you Facebook!

Reactions: grandM

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013

Bummer, I iust began developing a Mac App using Parse (only a few days in so not much to loose thankfully) and I was really enjoying the service.

lol I can be fast now and then ;)
I've always been cautious about relying on others people's work. This hit me as a surprise though. I am truly lucky I did not integrate parse. I considered it but decided to go CoreData, and later on CloudKit. Imagine all those developers worldwide having apps running on parse. I'm glad you were only at first base with your OS X app.
[doublepost=1454024343][/doublepost]

Maybe it will be easy to set up their code on a server?

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
This is kinda strange, why would this be a problem if they are going open source? Isn't setting up a server pretty easy now?

I don't have much background on this, but is there anything that Parse does that you can't to with CloudKit?

It seems that they are just taking down their own servers, which actually seems strange by itself. Given that others are going big on Cloud, you'd think FB would be right there in the middle of it.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
This is kinda strange, why would this be a problem if they are going open source? Isn't setting up a server pretty easy now?

I don't have much background on this, but is there anything that Parse does that you can't to with CloudKit?

It seems that they are just taking down their own servers, which actually seems strange by itself. Given that others are going big on Cloud, you'd think FB would be right there in the middle of it.
CloudKit does not allow android devices...

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Parse does a ton more. Most importantly, it's multi-platform. In addition to cloud stuff, it handles user accounts, analytics, push notifications. You can run tasks/scripts that fire off events on their servers (like "check this website every 15 minutes for an update, if something changes, send a push notification to these people"). Parse is fantastic for what it does. I have a single Parse "app" that all of my iOS apps use. That way I can keep a single login across all apps. I'm surprised Facebook is killing it.

Reactions: Mascots

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
Parse does a ton more. Most importantly, it's multi-platform. In addition to cloud stuff, it handles user accounts, analytics, push notifications. You can run tasks/scripts that fire off events on their servers (like "check this website every 15 minutes for an update, if something changes, send a push notification to these people"). Parse is fantastic for what it does. I have a single Parse "app" that all of my iOS apps use. That way I can keep a single login across all apps. I'm surprised Facebook is killing it.
Same here on the surprised part. With all the push going into cloud type services, it's hard to understand FB's logic on this move.

The upside is that they'll be going open source, so for most a small RaspberryPi could maybe do the job with a simple internet connection. IDK what it takes to run a Parse type server, but at least they're going open source. Hopefully it'll be the full system. Maybe some companies will jump in and take things over, but IDK if it's really a money making model for all the low usage apps.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
Maybe some companies will jump in and take things over, but IDK if it's really a money making model for all the low usage apps.

My sentiments exactly - I'm not too sure that space is worth investing into.

But then again, it's a proven product that had a wide audience range and could make decent revenue, so I bet there are others who will try to emulate it as close as possible.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
My sentiments exactly - I'm not too sure that space is worth investing into.

But then again, it's a proven product that had a wide audience range and could make decent revenue, so I bet there are others who will try to emulate it as close as possible.
If it is not a major company you run the risk of getting cancelled again.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
Yet another reason you should always build your own backend. It takes a little more work but in the end it is definitely worth it. Not to mention the fact that cross skilled developers make more $$$ lol.

Personally I prefer building my own backends simply so that I can do most of the logic on the backend. Things like querying the database should really never be done on the app.

I think Parse encouraged a lot of developers to pick up some pretty bad habits so over all this is probably a good thing.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Some HUGE name apps and games use(d) Parse. In many, many instances it's a giant waste of time and money to roll your own backend (why reinvent the wheel?). So if "you should always build your own backend," by that logic, don't have your backend hosted remotely either. You should build your own server and self host it, that way you don't have to worry about a remote host's potential downtime or upgrading software versions that will break what you wrote. As for your point about querying, etc, Parse allows you do do all of that on the backend if you want with hosted code. I'm curious what kind of bad habits you think Parse encouraged?

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
The Parse library is going open source. So you have two options:
1) Find another library.
2) Use Parse library on a server, either hosted or your own.
But either way, all of your Parse commands will work if you redirect Parse to your server instead of their main servers. And honestly, Parse was too much of a crutch for people who were using it as a means of claiming they knew how to integrate web based data services into their app.
Knowing Parse != knowing JSON query, post/get commands and server communications.
Knowing Parse == knowing how to use a sandbox library that does all the grunt work for you.

Learn AFNetworking, build your own JSON queries and you'll be a lot more powerful as a developer. And if you really like Parse, just host it when it's open source.

The fact that it's going Open Source means it's just a matter of time before someone adopts it into a GitHub repository and CocoaPod.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
I read a case study about a developer that used AWS and the costs went thru the roof. They ended up leasing their own server and saved a HUGE amount of money. I understand that Amazon is cashing in on AWS/Cloud services.

I'd think of this just like a database server. You can pay thru the nose, or use some open source system. The high end systems costs vs learning or paying a programmer to roll one for you.

Parse had a free level and there are TONS of apps out there that could scrape by on a free ride. FB makes nothing on them. No ads, no nothing.

FB itself is nothing new. It's a BBS/message board. It's not much different than the millions of discussion boards just like this one. The only difference is how it's structured and how popular it is. That's how FB get it's value, they run the worlds biggest message board.

The Parse business model doesn't make money at the lower end. It's free and if they charged for the light users, they'd find something else.

Just like FB itself, who'd pay for FB? Few if any. It's been tried, people want free. FB and Parse lived because of being free or free for most. Once you charge, people look for best value. It's not that hard to make a server, open source it and every gets it for free/near free.

Parse was more of a public service for most.

Watch someone come out with a $50 RaspberryPi server that does the same thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.