Bye Bye Starbucks

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by scotty96LSC, Jul 18, 2008.

1. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you want to look up the impact on your locale, here is a direct link to the list:

http://www.starbucks.com/aboutus/USStoreClosureInfo.pdf

It was well known that it was coming, and really Starbucks needs to say much more about their go forward plan. While I'm not their biggest fan (although I do occasionally go there), unfortunately this means a lot of jobs lost by relatively low wage earners, too....

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

they did say that they were going to try and relocate as many people as possible. the problem that starbucks has is that they expanded too quickly without looking into the markets. as a result they over-saturated rather than have stores placed in key areas they had many stores in one general area. its just bad planning. and i'm surprised that there are so few in chicago that are closing actually, but then again they're not "everywhere" unless you're downtown

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's good, although I'll really believe it when I see it -- granted they can backfill displaced employees instead of hiring to replace attrition, but I wonder that they have space for so many extra employees without making the locations they keep into failboats. Also, aside from the situations where they're closing one of two Starbucks that're across the street from each other, a lot of the kind of people who work at Starbucks might have a lot of hardship from having to travel to another part of their city to keep working for them. I guess it's inevitable, though.

As for Chicago, yeah, I'm kind of surprised they're not rationalizing in the city... although presumably they must be basing this on same store sales trends and so on. Hyde Park only has two, and they're spaced by about eight blocks, in pretty different parts of town.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I think that you hit the nail on the head. :)

6. LynnW macrumors member

Two of the St. Louis stores that are closing have been open less than three months. At least two others are in areas where people have batter things to do with their money than to buy grossly overpriced coffee.

7. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

And who didn't see this coming?

Note to future MBA students: When the business plan becomes a joke on the Simpsons, rethink the business plan.

This bit of consulting work should get me a couple grand ... or at least a Tall, no cream, no sugar.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

IMO, it's the lost health care that's really going to hurt people leaving Starbucks because of the closing stores.

It was reasonably priced, and to be eligible, you only had to work an average of 20 hours a week during the quarter.

That combination is next to impossible to find. :(

Was surprised to only see 4 locations total closed in my state (VA).

9. gentlegiantcrai macrumors regular

I have about 12 closing in my area, though none I go to often are closing.
    its over saturation and poor economy outlook.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I'd say that the problem is that $4 coffee is a tough sell in a recession.

11. scotty96LSC thread starter macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

That's why we call it "Fourbucks."

12. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Yes simply a case of getting too wild with the business model and not recognizing when factors like declining rate of return and the slower economy were colliding.

In my town of just 50K people there must be 9 Starbuck's if you count the ones in the supermarkets and even here in the Pacific Northwest where people swill coffee like water, that is a lot. There are about 20 other competing independents and franchises.

Interestingly though none of these are the list for closure.

13. scotty96LSC thread starter macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

50k and 9 Starbucks? A good exmple of what we are talking about.

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

We're they having problems before this?

Maybe their goal is a Starbucks in everyone's home.

Oh, wait, I am thinking of a different company. ;)

15. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

None of the stores around here are on the list...

Oh wait, that's 'cause there isn't any.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Actually, although they did take some actions to provide lower cost items on their menu, I've rarely heard this stated as a big part of the problem, compared to things like... not catering well enough to coffee afficionados (have you ever heard of light roast???), getting distracted with ancillary sales (like the music CDs and housewares) that didn't appeal to their core market, and setting up their stores to compete more with each other than with other stores. From everything I've heard, it was their growth and not their core product (the $4 coffees) that was the problem.

Sure, the coffee products I get when I go to a coffee shop cost about $4 at Starbucks. But if they're cheaper at a local place, it's cheaper by $0.30 or $0.40... and I leave it in the tip anyway, and effectively to me it costs basically the same amount....

17. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Not one store closing in my city. They also just opened up a new one in the last few months at that.

18. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Quite proud to say i have never been into a Starbucks.

19. scotty96LSC thread starter macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Kentucky needs to get on the coffee wagon then. Maybe they can move one of the closing stores to a city near you.

20. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

i dont get whats so bad about starbucks.. whats the reason for peoples deep hatred?

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

We've got a few hundred in Manchester, wonder if they'll shut them down?

22. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

They take pride in "stickin' it to The Man!"

23. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

They burn their coffee most of the time.
    The only thing I ever get at SB is a mocha frap when it's really hot out, maybe 2=3 times during the summer.

24. Queso macrumors G4

I was quite shocked to find them all over Paris whilst I was there on business last week. I can understand them opening in Barcelona, what with Spanish coffee being so traditionally bad, but Paris? Come on, what next? Milan? :eek:

25. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I personally really like Starbucks. I think this is a good thing too. I am hoping it will help recover some of the stock prices drop also.

None of the stores in my area are going to be hit.

I agree with what others have said, to quick and two many in one general area.

As I sip on my ice cold caramel frappuccino....mmmmmmm