Bye Bye Sunrise: Alternative to Fantastical 2

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mivara, Jun 6, 2016.

1. mivara macrumors regular

mivara

I'm using Fantastical on both iPhone and iPad but so far I haven't been willing to pay the $50 that the Mac version costs. Especially considering it isn't a one-time expense.

I have been using Sunrise on all platforms until Microsoft announced its death. Such a shame. Then I the Fantastical 2 trial on Mac and that didn't make me pay up.

Now, I'm on the lookout for a new alternative. I simply can't stand the default app and I need a calendar on my Mac that facilitates both Gmail and iCloud.

2. Jeffois macrumors newbie

I'm a fan of the BusyCal app, fwiw. It's similar in price to Fantastical, but it's a one-time cost. I thought Fantastical was also?

3. mivara thread starter macrumors regular

mivara

I read in another Macrumors post that every iteration would mean a new cost. I might try out BusyCal. At first glimpse, it looks a lot like the stock mail app on OS X though.

4. r3m1 macrumors regular

r3m1

You can try Calender5 from Readdle very decent app.

5. mivara thread starter macrumors regular

mivara

Unfortunately, it's only for iOS it seems :(

6. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Take a look at Informant. It's the Cadillac of calendars, and I believe the Mac version is still on an end of beta sale.

7. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

Didn't want to TC, but has anyone else used Informant? I currently have Calendar5, but like Miv said, it's iOS only. It'd be great to go cross platform. The only thing I saw with Informant is they offer a "sync" program for $15 a year... What I didn't understand is, for me, my main calendar now is Google... so technically wouldn't my calendars be sync'd everywhere anyway since it's an online push?

--rob

8. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

You won't need the sync plugin. M still not sure who does need/use that.

Informant syncs my iOS and Google accounts, as well as my work Exchange calendar.

9. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I am getting a free, second 21 day Re-Trial of Fantastical due to an error on my part. I may pony up for this, as I really like the dark themes on my iPhone and rMBP. I think you can keep the current version and not upgrade for a fee if you wish.

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I have been using Informant on my phone and Mac. It is nice, but the Mac version is still in beta and still has some holes in it. For instance you still can't invite anyone via the Mac app.

Overall I am glad I picked it up. I use several GMAIL accounts with it.

11. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

My second 21 day free trial of Fantastical is going great. I really like the dark theme.

Adam has been great helping me, and offering the second trial. If all goes well I will buy.

12. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Out of interest, why is this a shame?

The features have been folded into outlook anyway..

13. mivara thread starter macrumors regular

mivara

I just like the design and the huge range of connectable services. Furthermore, the fact that is was multi(Apple)-platform was great, too.

For now, I'm using iCal (or whatever it's called nowadays) until I'm ready to pay up for Fantastical :)

14. Kubaton macrumors member

Kubaton

BusyCal is not a one-time cost. I own version 2.x and got an email on 6/22 that I can upgrade to the new BusyCal 3.x for $29.99.

15. Jeffois macrumors newbie

I got that too---what I meant was that I took the original post to mean that he/she thought there was some kind of subscription at work. I don't think either program works that way.

16. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I finally bought Fantastical 2. Enjoying on iPhone and macbook.

17. Kubaton macrumors member

Kubaton

Ah, I got ya. That makes sense.