Bye bye Toast, hello Disco

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by daneoni, Apr 5, 2007.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I just wanted to say Disco is now my favorite burning software. I just wished i hadn't splurge on Toast but what can you do.

So if anyone is looking for a simple disc burning app, i highly recommend Disco.

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I'll second that recommendation. I purchased Disco during the MacZOT! preorder, and have been extremely pleased with Disco ever since I got my hands on the first beta. I have yet to make any coasters with it, and I find its interface very intuitive and easy to use.

Of course Disco isn't for everyone, but it works a peach for me.

3. gavd macrumors 6502a

I use Toast and have been happy with it, but what is it that makes Disco your favourite now? Might be tempted to have a look at it if you list some stuff.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

5. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Link To Disco $29.95

Disco Website. $29.95

6. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

First off Disco was given to me by a friend after i voiced my frustration with Toast. I tried to burn avi. movies to DVD-RWs as backups and Toast kept giving me attitude. In Disco i burnt the whole thing with no issues and it even intuitively divided the files equally to fit several discs, which i would have to do manually in Toast.

Also i'm all for eye candy and the smoke effect is just plain awesome blowing into your mic blows the smoke...how cool is that!.

Disco also seems to support more formats such as .Cue .Bin. etc which Burn doesn't seem to do. Toast also hijacks the system, if i insert any media Toast launches even though i've set this to not be the case in Sys Pref. Disco makes no assumptions

Overall for me Disco makes my life easier. I've tried Disk Utility, Toast, Burn but Disco does it for me.

7. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Toast has always been reliable for me - but for simple burning Disco works ok.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Why not just toss in a plug for Visual Hub while we're at it. :rolleyes:

9. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

Will disco convert avi files to dvd or vcd? and then burn to disk?

10. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

No, it will not automatically convert videos.

11. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

12. jlevine31 macrumors member

13. iLoveMyMBP macrumors regular

iLoveMyMBP

14. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Okay - this is a really difficult question to answer, but I'll answer it as best I can.

I want to start by saying that Disco is NOT a feature-for-feature replacement for Toast. It is, however, a $30 does-most-of-what-Toast-does disc burner. I find it's interface to be minimal, simple, and easy to use. I can get into and out of Disco much quicker than I ever could with Toast. The smoke feature of Disco, the one that people are always yakking about, is a fun feature, but ultimately nothing more than a distraction while you burn a disc.

The real sell-points for Disco are Discography and Spandex. Disco keeps a list (similar to a playlist) of all your burn sessions so you can reburn them later if you'd like, or if you just want to see when you burned those files. Spandex is a feature that will span your data (will not span a single file) across multiple discs until it can burn everything. That is, if you put 900MB of data into Disco when you're burning to a CDR, it will tell you the burn will require 2 discs, and it will split the files up the best way it can.

If you need the more advanced features of Toast (DVD-shrinking being a big one), then you'll probably want to shell out the extra $70 for Toast 8. If all you need is something that'll burn CDs and DVDs (video or data), then you might consider Disco as an option.

Give the trial a look - you get 7 free burns before you have to pay for it, if you don't like it, uninstall it and go back to Toast.

And just in case you missed it above, here's the link to Disco.