Bye MP3, Hello AAC Says Wii

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Sky Blue, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

http://wii.nintendo.com/photo_channel.jsp

Let the Apple/Nintendo theories continue!

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I suspect the boggy plains of MP3 licensing is to blame. Either way it's better for me since my iTunes library is all in AAC.

Heh. At first I thought this was a thread about Metroid Prime 3 and some new Animal Crossing game.

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

While AAC support is good, removing MP3 support is stupid. I've purposefully converted my whole library to MP3 just because it's easier to burn MP3 CDs and transfer songs to other devices that might not support AAC.

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

My library is over 90% MP3, with the rest being stuff purchased from iTunes. But since I'm not going to convert 3500 tracks to AAC, I'm pretty much married to the MP3 format for the foreseeable future.

6. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

I'm in the same boat as Praxis and Blackadder. Removing MP3 support is a terrible idea.

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

...unless the lawyers are the ones going, "uh, guys? We really ought to do something about this..."

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

That might be the case - I don't think AAC is a bad format, but MP3 is still the most widespread standard, and manufacturers ignore it at their peril.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm about ready to jump onto the 4th page of channels now. I'd like Nintendo do give us more pages, or do they automatically expand when you fill the 4th?

10. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Or even better: sub-channels. This would be my number 1 request. Arguably, this could go against the Wii's "TV channels" analogy and simplicity philosophy. I'd like one sub-channel for each virtual console type.

11. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If I made a game that uses mp3s and decide to sell it, I'd have to buy a license off whoever runs it. I don't know about the terms for an AAC license, but I know a lot of other devs now opt for OGG and their own music formats (or license these off other devs for less cost, like MusyX and Factor5) to cut costs.

Isn't AAC owned by Dolby and Apple? The less people holding a license the cheaper it'll be.

Though it's odd seeing Nintendo selling a console like the Wii, becoming the 2nd richest (or was it profitable?) Japanese company and not wanting to pay for the MP3 license.

[I can't remember if I'm using the UK or US version of license]

13. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

Agreed 100%!

14. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Maybe they didn't want to pay to license the mp3 codec and/or aac was cheaper?

Who knows. It's Nintendo. Half the $#!t they do makes me scratch my head in bewilderment; they march to the beat of their own drum and really don't give a crap about what the concensus says. Love 'em or hate 'em for it - that's they way they are. :eek: